Planning permission

1. Find out if you need planning permission

Some types of development do not need planning permission. This is called permitted development.

It is your responsibility to find out if you need planning permission or not.

You can find out more about whether you need planning permission on some of the most common types of projects such as loft conversions, porches and smaller single storey house extensions.

Some properties have the permitted development rights removed or restricted, which means you may have to apply for planning permission. Please contact us for this information.

Larger House Extensions

It is a condition under legislation (condition A.4 of Schedule 2 Part 1 Class A of the General Permitted Development Order 1995, as amended) that larger house extensions which are deemed to be permitted development must be completed by 30 May 2019, even where a determination has been issued by the Council prior to this date. If the extension is not completed by then, planning permission would be required via a full planning application.

For some work which is permitted development, including change of use, you will still need to notify us through the prior approvals process.

If your development is greater than 100 square metres of net additional floorspace you may need to pay the Community Infrastructure Levy and notify us before development starts.

Retrospective planning permission

If you have built something that requires planning permission and you have not had approval, we may ask you to submit a retrospective planning application for the work that you have already carried out. This does not mean that permission will automatically be granted.

You can apply for retrospective planning permission on the Planning Portal.

Apply for retrospective planning permission onlineExternal link

How to get proof that your development is legal

This is often most useful if you are selling your house or a piece of land. You can apply for a Lawful Development Certificate (LDC) to get proof that:

  • the existing use of or work to a building is lawful for planning purposes and didn’t need planning permission
  • your proposed use or development of a building does not require planning permission

More details about how and when to apply for a Lawful Development Certificate are available on the Planning Portal.

See the relevant checklist for details of what you need to include with your application:

The Planning Portal also has information on how to get a certificate for a listed building.

Houses in multiple occupation

Permitted development rights have been removed for the conversion of a dwelling house into a house in multiple occupation (HMO) in some wards. If you wish to apply for an HMO in an area affected by the Article 4 direction, you will need to make a planning application.

Contact us



0113 222 4409
(Weekdays, 9am - 5pm​​, except Wednesdays when we're open from 10am)