Community Infrastructure Levy

What is the Community Infrastructure Levy

How to find out whether you need to pay the Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL), and which forms you need to send.

The CIL is a planning charge for developers and landowners which is used to support development of local infrastructure. The CIL is charged per square metre on new developments, and applies to:

  • new dwellings of any size
  • any development where the internal area of a new building, extension or change of use exceeds 100 square metres

Please note that changes to the CIL Regulations came into force on 1 September 2019.

Please see the Government guidance on CILExternal link for more information.

Some developments are exempt from paying, but certain documents must be submitted whether you need to pay the CIL or not. Failure to submit these at the correct time may result in additional costs.

When to send your forms

Applications for planning permission

When submitting a planning application, submit the CIL additional information requirements form at the same time – this is used to see if you have to pay the CIL for your development. Find out what else you need to send us if you don’t have to pay CIL.

Permitted development work

If you are planning to carrying out work which is permitted development, send us a Notice of chargeable development form before work commences.

Forms to send if you do have to pay

  1. Once planning permission is granted you will receive a CIL Liability Notice – this tells you the amount you have to pay once you start your development. Estimate how much you will have to pay
  2. After receiving the Liability Notice, complete and submit the Assumption of Liability External link(PDF 311KB)
  3. Before starting work on your development, you must send us a Commencement Notice External link(PDF 283KB) and, if applicable, any forms to claim relief or exemption for your development
  4. When we receive your Commencement Notice, we will send you a Demand Notice, which confirms how much you will need to pay, and lets you know how to pay. Amounts more than £10,000 can be paid in instalments. Please see the CIL instalments policy (PDF 50KB) for details of when payments should be made
The complete list of CIL forms are available on the External linkPlanning Portal.

Forms to send if you don't have to pay

Before starting work on your development, you must send us:


Planning Services
Merrion House
110 Merrion Centre

Who is reponsible for paying

External linkSee GOV.UK guidance about who is liable to pay the Communtiy Infrastructure Levy.

Withdraw or transfer liability



Before commencementBefore commencement<div class="ExternalClass13906456C6BB4CDE8C0003EDE976D2D3"><p>If you are liable to pay the CIL, you may withdraw or transfer liability at any time before commencement by using one of the below forms:<br></p><p><a href="">Withdrawal of assumption of liability (PDF 278KB)</a></p><p><a href="">Transfer of liability (PDF 295KB)</a></p><h3>Address</h3><p>Planning Services<br> Merrion House<br> 110 Merrion Centre<br> Leeds<br> LS2 8BB</p><br></div>
After commencementAfter commencement<div class="ExternalClass749616C645944DED9FC1D7A5FE942E6B"><p>You cannot withdraw liability, and must instead transfer liability to another person by submitting a Transfer of liability form.</p><p><a href="">Transfer of liability (PDF 295KB)</a></p><h3>Address</h3><p>Planning Services<br> Merrion House<br> 110 Merrion Centre<br> Leeds<br> LS2 8BB</p></div>

Appealing Community Infrastructure Levy charges

If your development is liable for the Community Infrastructure Levy, payment is mandatory. However, you can appeal to the Government’s Valuation Office Agency if you think a mistake has been made in our calculations.

CIL appeals guidance - GOV.UK



Instalments Policy Instalments Policy.pdf51593pdf

Use this form to give us your comments. Do not use it to give us personal information - please contact us if you need to get in touch.