Building regulations

Building regulations overview

Building regulations are compulsory safety standards for design, construction and alterations.

Our Building Control team provides an independent, publicly accountable and competitively priced service to help you meet these regulations. We will give you practical feedback on your plans and offer regular site inspections.

Once we are satisfied you are meeting building regulations, you will be issued with a completion certificate.

Other services

Other services we provide are:

If you are responsible for developments in and outside of Leeds, you can join the Partner Authority scheme, which will enable you to work with us as a single point of contact for all your developments. Find out more about the benefits of joining the LABC Partner Authority Scheme.

Technical guidance for property owners

The following links to Local Authority Building Control websites, manuals and videos may provide useful guidance around how your project may be affected by building regulations.               

Local Authority Building Control videos for home owners

Local Authority Building Control warranty technical manual               

Local Authority Building Control Guide to renovating, converting and extending your home

Working at or near property boundaries

In addition to obtaining planning permission and/or building regulations approval, you may need to give the owners of adjoining properties notice under the Party Wall Act if your project involves:

  • building on or at the boundary with another property
  • work to an existing party wall or structure
  • excavation near to and below the foundation level of neighbouring buildings

Boundary issues are a civil matter, which we are unable to advise you on. See GOV.UK's website for advice on solving boundary disputes.

Structural warranties

Most banks and building societies require new buildings to have a structural warranty in place to grant a mortgage. This covers any risks that are not included in standard buildings insurance such as design, materials or workmanship.

Find out about LABC's range of structural warranties for self-builders, homeowners, housing associations, builders and developers.

Builders and tradesmen - self-certification

Registering with the Competent Person’s Scheme means that builders and tradesmen do not need to apply for building regulations approval, and can self-certify their work.

Register with the Competent Person’s Scheme online External link

Contact us



0113 378 6006
(Monday to Thursday 8:30am to 5pm and Friday 8:30am to 4:30pm, voicemail outside of these hours)


Leeds City Council
9th Floor, Merrion House
110 Merrion Centre

Use this form to give us your comments. Do not use it to give us personal information - please contact us if you need to get in touch.