How to get help from adult social care

See how to get help for yourself or another adult, including how to get a care needs assessment from the council.

If you're worried that someone is being treated badly, you should report abuse or neglect.

Who we help

We help adults who need extra support to live well. It can be long term or just until they're doing better.

Types of people we help

The people we support are usually adults who:

  • are older people
  • have learning disabilities
  • have physical disabilities
  • have conditions like dementia, Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s
  • have autism
  • have mental health problems
  • are deaf, blind or visually impaired
  • have drug and alcohol problems
  • are recovering from severe illness or injury
  • look after a friend or relative (carers)

They might need support with: 

  • preparing or eating food and drinks without help
  • keeping themselves and their clothes clean
  • managing toilet needs
  • getting dressed
  • moving around safely
  • keeping their home clean and safe
  • having enough contact with other people
  • taking part in activities like volunteering or learning
  • using local services, such as the buses and shops
  • caring for the people they are responsible for

If you look after a friend or relative, you can get support too including temporary care while you take a break.
See support for carers.

Call adult social care

You can call about yourself or about someone else. For example, friends, family members and health professionals (like a doctor) can call on behalf of someone who needs help.

If you're calling about someone who cannot make decisions, you may need the legal right to manage their care. Find out about representing someone who needs help.

During the call, we will ask questions about the person who needs support – whether it’s you or someone else. Conversations can take up to 30 minutes.

Tell us as much as you can, including:

  • name
  • date of birth
  • address
  • doctor’s contact details
  • next of kin contact details
  • accessibility needs, if they have any

We may also ask about:

  • what has changed
  • what a typical day looks like
  • who is around to help, including friends, family and neighbours
  • what you are hoping to get from us


0113 222 4401
(Weekdays 9am to 5pm​​, except Wednesdays when we're open from 10am.)

Call with SignVideo live BSL interpretation

Urgent out of hours: social care emergency contacts

What happens next

We can give help and advice over the phone, and we might make a referral for a needs assessment with a member of our team.

They will have a conversation with the person who needs support to make a plan to help them live well. Find out what happens in a needs assessment.

If needed, we can help with things like:

  • gadgets and equipment to make life easier
  • finding groups and activities
  • getting care and support at home
  • moving into supported housing or a care home

Find out more about types of support.

Will I have to pay for my care?

Advice and needs assessments are free, but our care and support services usually cost money. If you qualify, you may get help to pay for the care and support you get.

After your needs assessment, we can refer you for a financial assessment to see if you qualify for help to pay. Your care can start even if you have not had a financial assessment yet.

For more information:

Use this form to give us your comments. Do not use it to give us personal information - please contact us if you need to get in touch.