Council Tax Support

Changes to our scheme

We update our Council Tax Support scheme each year. Download our latest scheme (PDF 2MB) for details.

We also have a separate Council Tax Support scheme for anyone who claims Universal Credit. Find out more on our Universal Credit and Council Tax Support scheme page.

We have now finalised our scheme for 2019-20 (PDF 2MB).

1. Who is eligible

Find out who can qualify for Council Tax Support.

Council Tax Support is a council tax discount which reduces the amount of council tax you have to pay. The amount of discount you receive depends on your income. There is a maximum discount of 75%, unless you qualify as a member of a protected group.

You may be eligible for Council Tax Support if you:

  • live in the UK
  • pay council tax
  • are on a low income

Find out if you can get Council Tax Support

Check whether you could be eligible to claim Council Tax Support or other benefits using entitledto.

How savings, investments and property affect your Council Tax Support

If you have capital (savings, investments and property) over £16,000 you can’t claim Council Tax Support unless you or your partner (or both of you) have reached the qualifying age for State Pension Credit and one of you gets Pension Credit.

You may still be able to get Second Adult Rebate to help with your council tax though.

Protected groups

The following people are considered vulnerable, and may be able to claim up to 100% discount on their council tax depending on their income and circumstances:

  • pensioners
  • disabled people entitled to an Enhanced or Severe Disability Premium
  • lone parents responsible for one or more dependent children under five – you must not have a partner living with you
  • carers eligible for Carer’s Allowance
  • war widows and war pensioners - must be in receipt of a War Widows Pension, War Disablement Pension or Armed Forces Compensation Payment

Second adult rebate for pension-age people

Second adult rebate reduces the amount of council tax that you have to pay when another adult living with you means you are not eligible for single person discount.

If you share your home with someone who isn't your partner and who can't help you pay rent or council tax, you may be able to claim second adult rebate.

The person who shares your home must be:

  • aged 18 or over
  • not paying you rent
  • not paying council tax themselves
  • on a low income
  • not a joint tenant or joint owner

The person responsible for paying council tax must make the claim. The claim will be assessed based on the income of the second adult.

Did you find what you were looking for?

Did you find the information you were looking for?