Report neglect or abuse of an adult

Find out what to do if you're worried that an adult is being neglected or abused.

If you suspect someone over 18 years old is being mistreated, contact us on:

Phone: 0113 222 4401 (Monday to Friday 9am – 5pm, except Wednesdays when we're open from 10am)

Call with SignVideo live BSL interpretation

Out of hours phone: 0113 378 0644


If you think someone is in immediate danger, call the police on 999.

What you need to tell us

We will need enough information to investigate and make sure that the person you're worried about is safe. If possible, try to speak to the person you are worried about before calling us to try to include them in the decision to seek help. 

You should tell us:

  • their name 
  • why you're worried about them
  • their address
  • their date of birth
  • any other information that could help us identify them
  • details of their family
  • details of the person you suspect of mistreating them
Don't worry if you do not have all of the information above, you can still report your concerns to us.

When you call, we’ll ask for your details but you don’t have to tell us if you want to remain anonymous.

If you’re worried about a child

If you want to tell us about someone aged under 18, see our page on reporting a child protection concern.

When you should make a report to us

You should let us know if you think that someone is being mistreated. The abuse or neglect could come from anyone including family members, friends or professionals. It could include:

  • physical abuse
  • domestic abuse
  • sexual abuse
  • neglect
  • someone not looking after themselves (self neglect)
  • psychological or emotional abuse (bullying someone or making them feel scared)  
  • forcing someone to work (modern slavery)
  • financial abuse
  • discriminatory abuse

Concern about a care worker

Find out how to report a general concern about a person in a position of trust who may pose a risk to adults with care and support needs. A person in a position of trust may be an employee, volunteer or student.

What happens after you've made a report

Once we’ve received your report we’ll make a decision about what to do next. This could include calling the police or asking a social worker to look into it.

We will think about what the person being abused or neglected wants to happen and support them to stay safe in the future. We will also think about whether anyone else is at risk. 

We will work to make sure that the person you're concerned about is safe and well. We may call you to ask for more information if we need it.

We are not able to share people's personal details so we will not be able to keep you updated about any actions we take.

Contact us


0113 222 4401 (Monday to Friday 9am – 5pm, except Wednesday when we are open from 10am)

0113 378 0644 (nights, weekends and bank holidays)

Call with SignVideo live BSL interpretation


Use this form to give us your comments. Do not use it to give us personal information - please contact us if you need to get in touch.