Professionals: adult social care referrals and safeguarding concerns

Make an adult social care referral or report a safeguarding concern if you’re a professional such as a doctor, nurse, social worker, police officer or housing officer.

Mental health act assessments

To request an assessment under the mental health act, call:

0113 535 0003
(8:30am to 5pm, Monday to Friday)

0113 378 0644
(for emergencies on weekends, nights and bank holidays)

Make an adult social care referral

First, if you can, speak to the person to ensure they want help from us. We may not be able to help someone who does not want it.

What we'll need to know

Please provide as much information as you can.

About them

Tell us about the person you’re referring, including their:

  • name
  • date of birth
  • address
  • doctor’s contact details
  • next of kin contact details
  • if they have any communication needs, for example sign language interpreters or documents in braille

We’ll also need to know what they’re struggling with. This could include:

  • washing and dressing
  • using the toilet
  • preparing food and drink
  • getting around
  • managing money
  • cleaning and maintaining the home
  • relationships with family and friends
  • caring for other people, for example children

About you

Tell us about you, including:

  • your name
  • your job title and place of work
  • how you know the person you’re referring
  • how you think we can help the person

Make a referral

You can make a referral by completing our online form. The form has 4 pages and will take approximately 10 minutes to complete.

Make a social care referral for adultsExternal link

Discuss a previous referral

Contact details if you made a previous referral over the phone

If you need to speak to someone for information and advice please call 0113 222 4401 (Weekdays 9am to 5pm, except Wednesdays when we're open from 10am).

Emergencies and out of hours referrals

If you need to speak to someone about an:

  • emergency during office hours: Weekdays 9am to 5pm, except Wednesdays when we're open from 10am
  • an urgent matter on weekends, nights or bank holidays and you cannot wait until the next working day
Contact our Emergency Duty Team (EDT).

What happens next

If you have emailed us, you’ll receive a confirmation email with a unique ID number for your referral. We might contact you for more information.

Whether you refer by phone or email, we will speak to the person you have referred (or the person who represents them) within three working days. It can often be sooner for urgent cases.

The average wait for an assessment is four weeks, but can be sooner if it's urgent.

Report a safeguarding concern

If you’re worried that an adult is being abused or neglected, you can report it by email.

What you can report

You can report:                     

  • physical abuse
  • domestic abuse
  • sexual abuse or exploitation
  • neglect
  • self neglect
  • psychological or emotional abuse (bullying someone or making them feel scared)
  • forcing someone to work (modern slavery)
  • financial abuse
  • discriminatory abuse

Concern about a care worker

Find out how to report a general concern about a person in a position of trust who may pose a risk to adults with care and support needs. A person in a position of trust may be an employee, volunteer or student.                     

  1. Fill out a SA1 safeguarding form (WORD, 333KB) External link for each person.
  2. Email it to

You can also call us on:

0113 222 4401
(9am to 5pm Monday to Friday, except Wednesday when we open at 10am)

0113 378 0644
(for emergencies on weekends, nights and bank holidays)

You can report a concern anonymously if you need to.

We will aim to take action on safeguarding concerns within 24 hours, though it may take up to 48 hours. We may contact you and other people involved to ask for more information.

Use this form to give us your comments. Do not use it to give us personal information - please contact us if you need to get in touch.