Permit scheme for waste sites

There are two types of permit for Leeds residents using our household waste sites

  • Leeds Resident Permit
  • Commercial, Large Vehicle and Trailer Permit

This page will help you determine which permit applies to your circumstances. You must have one of the above permits to use our household waste sites.

You can only use these permits for household waste. They cannot be used for the disposal of trade waste. If you have trade waste to dispose of please see the Business Waste page for further information.

If you have a standard car or equivalent sized vehicle then you only need to display your Leeds Resident Permit in your windscreen to visit our sites.

The Leeds Resident Permit was sent to all households with the 2015/16 council tax bill. It is a free car window sticker which helps our site attendants identify Leeds residents. There is no expiry date on these permits, so they were not included with the 2016/2017 bill.

Residents from outside of Leeds are no longer allowed to use our sites (except where local cross border arrangements are in place).

Commercial, Large Vehicle and Trailer Permit Scheme

If you drive any of the following vehicles you will need an additional Commercial, Large Vehicle and Trailer Permit, which you need to apply for:

  • Vans not exceeding 3 tonnes gross vehicle weight
  • Cars with trailers
  • Cars with business writing or logos
  • 4x4s with pick-up (including pickup style enclosed vehicles)
  • Minibuses
  • Camper Vans

Download the Commercial vehicle waste disposal application form (PDF 1MB). Details on how to apply for the commercial, large vehicle and trailer permit are available in the drop down headings on this page.

There are some vehicles that are not allowed to use our sites e.g. vans over 3 tonnes gross vehicle weight. Please see the leaflet and frequently asked questions in the Related documents section on this page for more help.

From 5 February 2018 charges apply for disposing of some types of rubbish at our household recycling sites including rubble, hardcore, soil, ceramics, plasterboard and tyres. Please see our guide to waste disposal charges for a full list of items, charges and how to pay.



Do I get a new resident permit every year?Do I get a new resident permit every year?<div class="ExternalClass56ABA8DAA07D4770BDB31A469933A3F7"><span style="font-size:11pt;font-family:calibri, sans-serif;">Replacement permits or permits for new residents must be requested​ by emailing</span> <a href="" title=""><strong>l</strong><strong></strong>​​​​</a>​<br></div>
I have more than one vehicle in my household. Can I have more than one resident permit?I have more than one vehicle in my household. Can I have more than one resident permit?<div class="ExternalClass2F220B6E0E224217A0BA45C61BA052A3">Only one permit will be issued per household. The permits can be removed and reapplied to your vehicle windscreen if required. Permits are the only accepted form of residency<br><br><br>​</div>
How to apply for a commercial vehicle permitHow to apply for a commercial vehicle permit<div class="ExternalClassD2D22B1CDF68454CA9997424AF3BDA6C">Use the <span id="ms-rterangecursor-start"></span><a href="/docs/commercial%20permit%20application%20form.pdf"><strong>commercial vehicle permit form<span id="ms-rterangecursor-end"></span></strong></a>. More information about the scheme is available in the <strong>documents section.</strong>​</div>
I’ve just moved home, how do I apply for a permit?I’ve just moved home, how do I apply for a permit?<div class="ExternalClass9256279ACD4B4921B7C8DBDF1C1693EE"><p>​​If you are new to the Leeds area then please email us at <strong><a href=""></a></strong> and provide your name and address. We will send you your permit in the post.​<span id="ms-rterangecursor-start" style="display:none;"></span><span id="ms-rterangecursor-end" style="display:none;"></span></p></div>
I never received a permit. What should I do?I never received a permit. What should I do?<div class="ExternalClassD0F23793C43A477FB4692589888FA126">​​<p>If you have never received a permit please email us at <strong><a href=""></a></strong> and provide your name and address. You will need to wait for the permit to be delivered before you can use the sites.<br> </p></div>
What if I live in a rented property and my landlord pays the council tax?What if I live in a rented property and my landlord pays the council tax?<div class="ExternalClass3E1EFAC4EC83461C9B2EA91C4B272BB4">The initial mail out of Leeds Resident Permits were to landlords who pay the council tax bill on behalf of their tenants.<strong><br><br></strong>Following the initial mail out, landlords are not able to request permits on behalf of their tenants. The tenant must apply for a resident permit themselves by emailing <a href="" title=""><strong></strong></a> and providing their name and address. <br><br> If you are a landlord please note that it is illegal for you to dispose of waste from your rented properties at a household waste site. <br> ​​​<br></div>
What happens if I've lost my resident permit?What happens if I've lost my resident permit?<div class="ExternalClassDE67D66F09AF492790AC752BE4C6692B"><p>Only one replacement permit will be issued to a household (with the same occupier) in any two year period. Council Tax, other utility bills or other documents showing address details will not be accepted.<br></p><p>You can request a new or replacement permit by sending an email to <a href=""></a> . You will be required to provide your name and address details. A permit will be sent out by post to the address provided.<br></p> ​​​<br></div>
What other options to prove residence did the council consider?What other options to prove residence did the council consider?<div class="ExternalClass1849305B1C1A464EB053844ED15CF12D">The sticker system has been used effectively for a number of years by Leeds residents using other councils’ sites. This was a two-way agreement which ended in 2015. We also talked extensively to other services about their experiences using stickers as season tickets for free parking. <br><br> We decided that stickers are a better option than the alternatives for a number of reasons. Unlike a council tax bill they can be placed in the car and left there, so the resident will not have to worry about remembering to take it with them. The end of the fixed car tax disc means that most cars now have a perfect space on their windscreen for the permit. Finally, a council tax bill, or similar document, would need detailed checking by site staff which would slow down the customer experience and require a lot of staff time. A distinctive resident permit is far easier to spot even while the vehicle is moving.</div>
Why does Leeds have a resident permit scheme for recycling sites?Why does Leeds have a resident permit scheme for recycling sites?<div class="ExternalClass41D265B674474842BC90E500564B8E1D">The commercial vehicle permit was introduced in 2013 and has reduced site costs by over £100,000 a year. Some of this reduction results from preventing non-Leeds residents from using our sites. A full resident permit scheme is seen as another way to reduce disposal costs. Similar schemes are used by surrounding authorities and these have encouraged people from out of the area to bring their waste to Leeds. <span id="ms-rterangecursor-start" style="display:none;"></span><span id="ms-rterangecursor-end" style="display:none;"></span> <br><br> The permit is a simple and inexpensive car sticker and was sent out with the annual council tax bills at insignificant cost. The permit has no expiry date and could even be expanded for Leeds residents to use in other ways in future. <br><br> The introduction of a permit scheme also allows us to agree income generating schemes with other authorities in the future.</div>



Commercial permit application form permit application form.pdf409185pdf
Commercial Permit Scheme FAQs
Commerical permit leaflet
Letter for borrowed vehicles Letter for Borrowed Vehicles.pdf102721pdf
Letter for company vehicles Letter for Company Vehicles.pdf103482pdf

Did you find what you were looking for?

Did you find the information you were looking for?