Licences and permits

We want to make sure roads, pavements and footpaths are kept clear and safe at all times.

There may be times when you need to obstruct a road or pavement, for example doing work to your house. You will need a permit before you can do anything which may block a road or pavement. Forms are available to download from the related documents section below.

You will need a permit for putting any of the following on a road or pavement:

  • skips
  • building materials
  • structures
  • projection e.g. a canopy, part of a building, CCTV equipment
  • scaffolding and hoarding
  • crane or access platform
  • planting vegetation

For information about the permit scheme for street works and roadworks in Leeds, see street works permit scheme.


If you would like to organise an event on a road or pavement, please see organising events for more information on the process and how to apply.

There is a resident led initiative called Play Streets which closes streets so children can play freely and safely. More details about the scheme and how to apply for your street is available from the Play Streets page.

Traffic Regulation Orders

A Traffic Regulation Order is a legal document for a traffic restriction placed on street, for example, waiting and loading restrictions, a temporary closure, one way traffic, banned turns.

You can view all permanent Traffic Orders for Leeds City Council online by using TrafWeb​. Visit to view temporary traffic restrictions.

To apply please download and complete the temporary traffic regulation order form (WORD, 265KB).

Abnormal loads

If you are moving any vehicle with an abnormal load then you must let us know your proposed route in advance using the abnormal loads form (PDF, 74KB).

Filming on a road or pavement

If you need to do any filming on a public highway, please email

Dropped Kerbs and vehicle crossings

If you need to access your driveway from the road then you need to apply for a vehicle crossing to lower the kerb and pavement. You can also apply for a dropped kerb if you need level access for a mobility scooter or wheelchair.

S278 agreements

A Section 278 (S278) agreement ensures that any impact on the highway or improvements required to the highway, as a result of developments undertaken, are agreed and paid for prior to the works commencing.

In Leeds there are three types of S278 agreements:


A Standard Section 278 agreement is used for most significant off site highway works associated with planning permissions. The works are designed and supervised by us on behalf of the developer and at the developer’s expense.               

Standard S278 agreements do not require the provision of a bond as all monies are paid upfront.               


Leeds City Council obtains design and supervision fees, commuted sums and legal costs.               


A Minor Section 278 agreement is a formal arrangement for developers to carry out minor highway works themselves. The developer designs and constructs the works.               

This agreement type is used for schemes which are more involved than a footway crossing, but not so involved that there is any major requirement for traffic management on a busy road or significant involvement with statutory undertakers. The design should not be complex in any way.               

It is most often used where the development and highway works are adjacent or make use of the same site, making it very difficult for a separate contractor to be working in the same area. For example repaving footways or the provision of a lay-by within a site contractor’s working zone.               

A Minor S278 requires the provision of a bond and cash surety against default and commuted sums for maintenance of new highway features.               


The developer pays Leeds City Council’s design and supervision fees, commuted sums and agreement fees including legal costs.               


A Mini Section 278 agreement is a formal arrangement to enable developers to carry out extremely minor highway works.               

This type of agreement covers minor footway crossing works, amendments to paving to provide level access, removal and reinstatement of planters, and similar schemes where the developer designs and constructs the works and provides a cash surety to cover default.               

Leeds City Council obtains staff fees for checking the design and supervision of the works and legal costs.               

Submitting an agreement

To submit a S278 agreement please email with the following information:

Details of the development

Please provide details of your:

  • site reference
  • address
  • developer
  • agent
  • legal representation
  • planning permission reference
  • third parties
  • accredited contractor
  • Traffic Regulation Orders or other special requirements
  • land dedication plan

Please also provide an indication of the programme for delivery of the highway works in relation to the development programme.

Drawings and supporting documents

Please provide a copy of the drawings and documents that were approved and conditioned as part of the planning permission. You must include your:

  • red line site plan - showing the boundary of works
  • site location plan - scale 1:1250 or 1:2500
  • approved planning layout
  • planning decision notice

Please also provide a drawing clearly showing any areas of land to be dedicated as adopted highway, if applicable.

We will confirm the type of agreement to be used and provide supporting information within 14 days.


The fees and commuted sums below are for the financial year 2019/20 from 1 April 2019, and are subject to increase by 3 percent on 1 April each year thereafter.

There are four categories of fees:

General fees

Preparing legal documentation

At cost, varies but significantly higher if using external solicitors. Generally in the range of £750 to £3,500.               

Highways officer in preparation of S278 documentation, highways board report, design brief

  • £2,060 for standard S278 schemes
  • increased to £3090 for high value, complex agreements
  • £2,060 for minor S278 agreements

Environmental study

At cost, varies but £515 for desk top study and £1030 for desk top plus noise surveys.               

All minor S278 agreements require the payment of fees at cost for design check and supervision. An upfront fee of 10 percent of the estimated works costs will be obtained for the design checking / inspection fee so that the highways engineer is not working at risk. A bond is obtained for the value of the highway works plus 20 percent.               


Works of value up to £100,000 for a standard agreement

Fee schedule for works of value up to £100,000 for a standard agreement:               

  • consultation fee – at cost
  • design fees – actual cost incurred up to £10,500
  • supervision fees – actual cost up to £8,500
  • supervision fees for statutory undertakers works – 3 percent of cost of statutory undertaker diversions
  • £1000 sum for Leeds City Council carrying out the role of the principal designer under the CDM Regs 2015
  • payment of a commuted sum for future maintenance in accordance with the Third Schedule

Works of value above £100,000 for a standard agreement

Fee schedule for works of value above £100,000 for a standard agreement:               

  • consultation fee – at cost
  • design fees – 10.5 percent of the highway works
  • supervision fees – 8.5 percent cost of the highway works
  • supervision fees for statutory undertakers works – 3 percent of cost of statutory undertaker diversions
  • 1 percent of cost of highway works for Leeds City Council carrying out the role of the principal designer under the CDM Regs 2015
  • payment of a commuted sum for future maintenance in accordance with the Third Schedule

Minor and mini agreements fees

The fees for minor and mini agreements are the reasonable and proper costs incurred by the council for:     

  • checking the detailed drawings, plans, specifications and contract documentation for the highway works
  • supervising the highway works including reviewing amendments to detailed designs and specifications
  • providing for inspection of the highway works

Maintenance payments

You may also be required to pay maintenance payments called commuted sums. These cover new highways works that are an addition to the existing highway. For example, a new area of the highway, landscaping or features such as traffic signals.

Commuted sums fees (April 2019 to March 2020)
Commuted sums fees
1CarriagewayUnit rate
(a)All construction types maintenance category 1, 2, 3a, 3b and 4a (All road types except 4b below)£26.83 per sq m
(b)All construction types, maintenance category 4b (Local access road serving limited numbers of properties carrying only access traffic£11.91 per sq m
(c)Extra over the above for a carriageway junction of any class (single charge per junction)£991.87
(d)Extra over for application of red anti-skid coloured surfacing£20.02 per sq m
(e)Extra over for application of grey anti-skid coloured surfacing£19.48 per sq m
(f)Vehicle containment kerbs£83.54 per m
2Footway and paved areas
(a)All construction types£19.04 per sq m
3Street lighting
(a)Lighting column up to and including 7m in height£1545.37
(b)Lighting column over 7m and up to 15m in height£1844.69
Heritage or Enhanced (type to be approved by LCC)
(d)Lighting column up to and including 7m in height£1554.47
(e)Lighting column over 7m and up to 15m in height£1855.50
Bespoke By quotation
4Illuminated street furniture and signs
(a)Any item of illuminated apparatus standard£725.67
(b)Any item of illuminated apparatus heritage or enhanced£1153.21
5Non-illuminated street furniture and signs
(a)Non illuminated advanced direction sign£437.72
(b)Non-illuminated sign, bollard or other single point feature£437.72
(c)Pedestrian Guardrail£47.19 per m
6 Traffic signalsBy quotation
7Traffic calming features
(a)Speed table (by surface area)£171.30 per sq m
(b)Speed cushion£479.70
(a)Hard landscaping area (treat as footway)£19.70 per sq m
(b)Soft landscaping grass£5.84 per sq m
(c)Soft landscaping vegetation or shrub bed£26.83 per sq m
(a)Individual road or footway gully£275.72
(b)Kerb drainage systems (not including outfall; treat each outfall as a gully)£55.84 per m

Commuted sums fees - additional notes

  1. Other special features, heritage materials, specialist materials or deviation from design standards should be estimated for separately.
  2. Sustainable Urban Drainage Systems (SUDS) should be estimated for separately on a scheme specific basis.
  3. Highway structures / retaining features should be estimated for separately on a scheme specific basis.

The liability period used for the calculation of the above rates is 20 years. Other site specific items will also be based on a liability period of 20 years apart from Structures which will have a liability period of 60 years.

Use this form to give us your comments. Do not use it to give us personal information - please contact us if you need to get in touch.