Support for Gambling Related Harm
Worried you or someone you know is taking gambling too far?
Problem gambling can affect anyone at any time - we know here in Leeds around 40,000 people are either problem gamblers or are at risk of developing a problem. The ‘Beat The Odds’ campaign aims to raise awareness of the support services available if gambling is having an impact on your life.
Know the signs:
- Are you spending more money and time on gambling than you can afford to?
- Are you finding it hard to manage or stop your gambling?
- Are your gambling habits causing arguments with your friends and family?
- Are you losing interest in usual activities and hobbies?
- Is gambling constantly on your mind?
- Do you find yourself lying about your gambling or hiding it from other people?
- Do you chase your losses or place a bet to get out of financial trouble?
- Are you gambling until all of your money is gone?
- Do you borrow money, sell your possessions or don’t pay your bills due to your gambling?
- Do you find yourself gambling larger amounts of money or for a longer time to get the same buzz?
- Do you neglect work, school or family because of gambling?
- Do you often feel anxious, worried, guilty, depressed or irritable?
If any of these sound familiar, take the first step to getting support by calling the National Gambling Helpline on
0808 8020 133 or visiting
Victim of a Loan Shark?
Leeds City Council and the Illegal Money Lending team have released
a short film featuring a Leeds man who suffered at the hands of local loan sharks and is now living a new life away from threats and poverty. He decided to tell his story to encourage other people who have borrowed from illegal lenders to come forward for help.
To report a loan shark:
Help with Managing your Money
All the information on this website is available in our document
Help with managing your money (PDF 624KB).
Money information centres map
All the Money information centres are available to view via our
interactive map. For information on how to use this map, click on the 'Details' tab on the top left of the map page.
Campaign against high cost lenders
The high cost lending market in Leeds is worth an estimated £90m. Take a stand against high cost lenders and pledge your support.
Take a stand video for more information.