Financial support for care leavers

Find out about the financial support and advice available to you from your personal advisor.

There may be times when you find yourself short of food or struggling to pay some of your bills. We want to help if you are having difficulties.

If you speak with your personal advisor they will help you work out what help you need and make sure you have the right support moving forward. This could be helping you to make some budget plans or sorting out any benefit problems. They can also get you food parcels or help towards energy bills if things get really difficult.

Birthdays and religious festivals

We want to celebrate your birthday and will give you gifts for these, as well as for religious festivals such as Christmas or Eid.

ID documents

You will need ID for lots of things. This includes opening bank accounts, starting a new job, getting a library card, accessing services and going abroad. We want to make sure that you have a suitable form of photo ID, so we will support you to get your first adult passport.

Driving lessons, tests and licence

Learning to drive can be expensive. We can help you pay for it if have been in education, training or employment for 3 months, or if you are unable to work due to caring responsibilities or a disability. 

Your personal advisor will help you access:

  • one provisional driving licence
  • ten 1 hour driving lessons, when you buy 10 yourself (up to £250), or a maximum contribution of £250 towards an intensive driving course
  • one theory test and one practical driving test
  • help to find a good instructor

Claiming benefits

As well as working with your personal advisor, we also have welfare rights workers that will support you with claiming any benefits that you might be eligible for or answering your queries. 

You can speak to your personal advisor about this or contact the team directly:

Phone: 0113 378 8876 (Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm)

The department for work and pensions is the government department that pay most benefits, such as Universal Credit external link

They are committed to offering you all of the support that you need. We know that you may not want to share that you are care experienced, but if they know this they can support you better.

Free gym access for 18 to 21 year olds

All care leavers aged 18 to 21 can have free access to Active Leeds gyms. Find our how to how to join an Active Leeds gym external link.

Support for parents

If you need support and guidance with your children, or through pregnancy and after giving birth find more information on becoming a parent.

Education and training

You can find information about how we can help you on our education, employment, and training.


Get information about housing and accommodation including setting up home allowance and other support you may be able to get.

Use this form to give us your comments. Do not use it to give us personal information - please contact us if you need to get in touch.