Register a stillbirth

Booking an appointment

If you suffer a stillbirth in Leeds, you must call 0113 222 4408 to make a priority appointment (Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm, except Wednesdays when we're open from 10am. Automated response at other times).

We will make every effort to find an appointment that is convenient for you. If we have not covered your special circumstances, please contact us for more information. If you are unable to use a telephone please email​​​​.

How much it costs

The Registrar will give you a free certificate of registration (this will show the baby's full name, sex, date of birth, district of birth and the name of the informant). The Registrar will also provide you with a copy of a full stillbirth certificate at a cost of £11.​        

What you need to bring

You must bring the medical certificate issued by the doctor/midwife. Without this certificate the Registrar will not be able to register the stillbirth. If the stillbirth has been reported to the Coroner’s Office they will advise you what to do.​        

What other documents you may receive

The Registrar will give you a “White form 118”. This is for arranging the funeral. It needs to be given to the funeral directors. If the stillbirth was referred to the coroner they may already have given this form to the funeral directors.        

Where you can register a stillbirth

You can register a stillbirth at one of the following One Stop Centres: Armley, Chapeltown, Dewsbury Road, Garforth, Harehills, Merrion House, Middleton, Moor Allerton, Morley, Pudsey, Rothwell, Wetherby and Yeadon. You can also register a stillbirth in any other Register Office in England and Wales. The Registrar will send the details on to us, although this may delay the funeral.        

Who can register a stillbirth

If the parents are married or in a civil partnership with each other

  • either the baby's mother or father/second parent

If the parents are not married or in a civil partnership with each other

  • the mother
  • the mother and father/second parent together

Please note that if the parents are not married to each other or in a civil partnership at the time of the birth we can only enter the father's/second parent's details on the birth certificate if he/she comes with the mother to register the birth.        


Information we may collect about you

The council has a statutory duty to register births, deaths, marriages and civil partnerships and to administer citizenship services on behalf of the Home Office. Your information will only be used to help us with your registration appointment, your ceremony or your application for copy certificates. We will not share this information with anyone else unless we are required to by law. Read more about how we process your personal data in our privacy policy

Use this form to give us your comments. Do not use it to give us personal information - please contact us if you need to get in touch.