Housing Benefit

To view details of your housing benefit or council tax payment, log in to our online portal.

Log in to check your housing benefit claim (External link)

Help with paying your rent

You can only make a claim for housing benefit if any of the following apply:

  • you (and your partner if you have one) are state pension age
  • you live in a hostel or refuge
  • you live in supported or exempt accommodation that includes care, support or supervision
  • you live in temporary accommodation provided by Leeds City Council

If you are under state pension age and live in sheltered accommodation provided by the council, you must apply for Universal Credit external link for help with your housing costs.

For advice about mortgage payments, please contact the Department for Work and Pensions.

If your rent includes bills, insurance or meals, housing benefit will not cover these costs. The amount of housing benefit you get depends on:

  • the amount of rent you pay
  • your income (and your partner’s income if you have one)
  • your savings
  • the number of children that live with you
  • other people in your household and their income (these are called non dependants and for more information see the related page non dependants)
  • if you or someone in your family is ill or has a disability and
  • how many bedrooms your family needs

Working out how many bedrooms your family needs

You are allowed one bedroom for:

  • each adult couple
  • any other adult (aged 16 or over)
  • any two children under 10
  • any two children of the same sex under 16
  • or any other child

Check if you can get housing benefit

Before you complete the online benefits e-claim external link if you would like to get an idea of what you might be entitled to you can use the benefits calculator external link.


Most students cannot claim housing benefit, however, if you are a pensioner or live in supported accommodation you can make a claim.

The rules for student claims can be complex, so if you do need help, please drop into a community hub or call us on 0113 222 4404 for more advice.

Apply for housing benefit

Applying for housing benefit online takes between 10 minutes and 30 minutes. You can save and return to the application as many times as you need to.

Please ensure that you write down the reference you are given at the start of your claim. You need to click the submit button on the final page of the form when you are ready to send it to us.

When claiming housing benefit you can also claim Council Tax Support.

Apply online for housing benefit External link

If you already claim housing benefit, you must let us know if you have a change in your circumstances.

If you need help completing the online form you can contact us:

Phone: 0113 222 4404

Exceptions to the Under Occupancy charge

An additional bedroom is allowed for foster children, including approved foster carers who are waiting for a child to be placed with them.   

Those serving in the armed forces who return to their parents home during their leave are also allowed an additional bedroom.   

An additional bedroom may also be allowed for disabled children who because of their disability are unable to share a bedroom.   

Customers with adult children who are away at university but continue to live with their parents and intend to return home will be allowed an additional bedroom. The temporary absence must not be for more than 52 weeks.   

If you have more bedrooms than you are allowed

If you are a working age tenant living in a council or housing association property your Housing Benefit will be reduced if you have more bedrooms than your family needs. Working age is below the age when you are eligible to claim Pension Credit.   

You can check the age you will be able to claim Pension Credit on GOV.UK.   

Direction of Chief Executive regarding Electronic Communications for Housing Benefit, Council Tax Support, Discretionary Housing Payment

Direction of Tom Riordan Chief Executive of Leeds City Council, under the Housing Benefit (Electronic Communications) Order 2006 and Paragraph 11 of Schedule 7 to the Council Tax Reduction Schemes (Prescribed Requirements) (England) Regulations 2012.   

In accordance with:   

  • Schedule 11 of the Housing Benefit Regulations 2006
  • Schedule 10 of the Housing Benefit (Persons who have attained the qualifying age for state pension credit) Regulations 2006
  • Part 4 of Schedule 1 of Leeds Council Tax Support Scheme 2017/18
  • Paragraph 3 of Leeds Council Tax Support Scheme (Universal Credit) 2017/18

Leeds City Council (the Authority) hereby makes the following directions:   

1. A person who, in accordance with the above Regulations makes a claim for Housing Benefit, Council Tax Support or Discretionary Housing Payments is authorised to do so by an electronic communication, provided that the person uses the method approved by the Authority in relation to the claim.   

2. The methods and forms set out, at the time of, and for the purposes of, the delivery of such a claim as referred to in paragraph 1, on the Authority’s website are respectively:   

a) The methods approved by the Authority for:   

i. Authenticating the identity of the person making the claim. The person must clearly state their full name and postal address.   

ii. Submitting the claim. The person will be responsible for the validity and accuracy of the any new claim submitted.   

iii. Authenticating the claim. The person must keep record of any claim submitted in case of query.   

iv. The method of electronic communication. Any claim that does not conform to any of the relevant standards will be invalid. Or does conform to the approved method but is not accepted by the Authority’s official computer system will not be regarded as having been delivered.   

b) The form approved by the Authority in which the claim is to be delivered.   

New claims - By completing the relevant electronic form on the Authority’s website, www.leeds.gov.uk

Changes in circumstances - By completing the relevant electronic form on the Authority’s website, www.leeds.gov.uk   

It should be noted that although new claims and changes of circumstances can be made electronically there will be a requirement to provide additional information and documentation in certain circumstances.   

The Authority will not be held responsible for the non receipt of any claim, changes of circumstances or other documentation.   

This direction may be withdrawn or amended at any time by the issue of a further direction.   

Signed by:   

Tom Riordan, Chief Executive   

Leeds City Council   

2 January 2019   


Use this form to give us your comments. Do not use it to give us personal information - please contact us if you need to get in touch.