Get someone to speak up for you (an advocate)

If you find it hard to make decisions about your care or make your voice heard, we can offer you someone to speak up for you.

We can provide you with someone who makes sure your views are heard called an advocate. Advocates are independent from the council or the NHS and will support your views about your care.

Your advocate could attend meetings or assessments with you. They could also speak to us about your care on your behalf. Your advocate could help you to:

  • get the right care and support for you
  • give your opinion on your care
  • make decisions about your care
  • challenge the council if you do not agree with a decision

Who can get an advocate?

You can get support from an advocate if you do not have a family member or friend who can support you. The advocate can help you if you are receiving care from us or are looking to get care from us.

 An advocate can support you if you find it hard to:

  • understand and remember important information
  • use that information in daily life
  • express your views, wishes or feelings

How to get an advocate

Our advocates are provided by the Advonet charity. If you’re interested in getting an advocate for yourself or for someone else, call 0113 244 0606 or text 07397 939 820.

Use this form to give us your comments. Do not use it to give us personal information - please contact us if you need to get in touch.