Get a copy of your personal data

You can find out about your privacy rights, what data we hold about you and ask to be sent a copy. This is sometimes called a subject access request.

Your rights

You have the right to ask us to:

Correct your data if you think it is wrong

Right to rectification

You have the right to ask us to correct inaccurate data or ask for it to be completed. You can also ask us to include a statement of your views to go alongside the records.               

Stop using your data

Right to restrict processing

You can ask us to stop using your data if you think:               

  • we no longer should be using it
  • it is wrong (until it’s put right)

You can ask us to restrict and limit the processing of personal data on certain grounds, for example whilst we check the accuracy of your data or deal with an objection by you.               

You can not stop us using your data to protect other people's rights, or for legal claims or for an important public interest reason.               

Right to object

You have the right to object to us processing your data. This allows you to ask us to stop processing your information if it is:               

  • necessary for our usual statutory functions
  • for direct marketing purposes
We do not have to stop processing your data if we can show proper grounds (that outweigh your rights) for still needing to it.               

Delete your data

Right to erasure

You have the right to ask the Council to delete your information. The ‘right to be forgotten’ lets you request the deletion of your personal data where there is no compelling reason for us to still have it.               

This right does not apply where we need to use your data for one of our statutory purposes (like collecting council tax), or where we need it for a legal claim.               

Stop any automated processing of your data

Rights regarding automated decisions

These rights are in relation to decisions made by automation which affect you legally or have a significant outcome.               

We do not use automated decision making at the moment.               

  • Send your information to another organisation
  • Right to data portability

    You can ask for your data to be transferred to another organisation, if we’re using your data with your consent. However, this right doesn’t apply where we still need to use your data for one of our usual statutory functions.

    We'll send you copies of your information. This could be paper records, computer records or other related information.

    We might not be able supply you with paper copies of the information if it is not physically possible or would take disproportionate effort. We will still provide the information by email if possible.

    Ask for your information

    To make a request for personal information, you will be asked to attach supporting evidence to the form.

    The evidence we might require includes:

    • passport
    • driving licence
    • council tax bill
    • utility bill
    • power of attorney document
    • child's birth certificate
    • statement to prove parental responsibility

    You can also visit your local community hub to get help completing the form online.

    Or you can make an information request in writing.

    Make an information rights request online External link

    Ask for someone else's information

    To request information for someone, you need evidence that you have their permission. This could be a written authority to make the request or a power of attorney.

    We may release information about children to a parent or carer. The best interests of the child will always be considered.

    How long it will take

    We will usually get back to you within one month of getting your request. Within one month we will either:

    • send you copies of your information
    • ask you for more information
    • refuse your request (if we think it is 'manifestly unfounded' or 'excessive')


    Requesting your data is usually free but we may charge if:

    • you want more copies of the same information
    • we think your request is excessive

    We will tell you there will be a charge before we send you the information.

    Information we cannot give

    We may not be able to give your personal data if you asked for information that:

    Contains personal data about someone else

    Unless the other person gives their permission, or it is reasonable under the circumstances to provide it without permission, we are entitled to withhold this information.                             

    Could risk someone's safety or welfare

    If the information could risk someone's safety we will not disclose it without their agreement.                             

    There are exemptions for health, social work, and education information if your request is likely to cause serious physical or mental harm to you, or someone else.                             

    Is being used to prevent or detect crime

    If the police are investigating or prosecuting offences we will ask them whether giving you the information would prejudice their activities. If they think it will, we will not be able to give you the information.

    We do not have to give you information that would prejudice us in assessing or collecting council tax.                              

    Is exempt

    Other exemptions include:

    • disciplinary proceedings against council staff
    • the investigation of complaints of misconduct against council members
    • data processed for research, statistical or historical purposes
    • data that is already available to the public (such as planning permission applications)
    • management forecasting or management planning information
    • confidential references
    • records of intention in relation to negotiations, exam scripts, and legal advice

    Complaints and issues

    If you are unhappy with our response please contact us by email at

    You can also get advice about your request from the Information Commissioner's Office. If they think we haven't dealt with it properly, they will tell us and help you get the information.

    Find out how to contact the Information Commissioner's Office.