Abandoned vehicles, caravans and trailers

Reporting an abandoned vehicle if it is untaxed

If a vehicle is untaxed, it must be declared as off-road and removed from the public highway. This also includes land open to the public that is intended to be accessed by car, such as a car park. From 1 October 2014, tax discs are no longer issued. You can check the tax status of a vehicle at the GOV.UK website. You will need the registration number and make of the vehicle.

Check car tax now

Report an untaxed vehicle to the DVLA and provide the registration number, make and location of the vehicle.

Report an abandoned vehicle if it is still taxed

Where an abandoned vehicle is still taxed, or untaxed but cannot be removed by the DVLA for other reasons (for example: in instances where it has been set on fire, vandalised or stripped of parts) the council will work with the police to investigate and get the owner to remove it. 

If the owner cannot be traced then other arrangements will be made to remove the vehicle.

If the vehicle is on private land there are other criteria that need to be met before the council can remove it, which means the process may take longer or may mean that the vehicle cannot be removed at all.

A vehicle that is in roadworthy condition, has tax and MOT is unlikely to be considered to be abandoned unless it has not been moved for a period of months.

Caravans and trailers

It is an offence to keep a caravan or a trailer on the public highway for longer than 24 hours. 

You can report:

  • abandoned vehicles which are still taxed and have been abandoned for more than 4 weeks (unless there is a serious safety concern)
  • untaxed vehicles only when they cannot be removed by the DVLA for other reasons
  • a caravan or trailer on the public highway for longer than 24 hours
Report an abandoned vehicle online External link

Use this form to give us your comments. Do not use it to give us personal information - please contact us if you need to get in touch.