If you are a full-time student you might be able to get a council tax discount or exemption.
What is a full-time student?
Your course must be one of the following:
- a course which lasts at least one academic or calendar year and which requires you to undertake an average of at least 21 hours per week of study, tuition or work experience, for at least 24 weeks in that calendar year
- a course which is not higher education, lasts for more than 3 calendar months, requires you to undertake more than 12 hours of study per week and you are under the age of 20
We won’t be able to award a discount if you live in a household with two or more non-students or part-time students.
Student nurses are not exempt from council tax but may be
eligible for a student nurse discount.
How to apply
Before you start
You will need the:
- address and postcode of the property
- names of all adults over 18 living at the property
- student number for each full-time student and their course start and end date
- name of the University or College for each student
If we do need evidence that you are full time student we will contact you to ask for this.
Apply for council tax student discount
The form will allow you to add the details of all of the students in the property so only one application is required.
Proof of exemption
If you qualify for an exemption we will send you an exemption notice. Please keep this safe in case you’re asked to prove that you are, or have been, exempt from council tax.
Non-British spouse or dependant of a full-time student
If you have a non-British spouse or dependant living with you who is not a student, your student discount/exemption may still apply.
They must have a visa which prevents them from taking paid employment or claiming benefits.
You will need to let us know by downloading, completing and returning the claim form to:
Leeds City Council
P.O. Box 60