Complaints to children’s services

Children’s services includes social care, education, early years and youth services.

It does not include complaints about schools.​ You can find information about complaints to schools on GOV.UK.

Sometimes we don’t get things right first time or you might feel that we could have given you a better service.

If you are not happy with the care that you or someone else is receiving it is your right to complain. Please let us know as this gives us the opportunity to make changes and to try and put things right.  We will always take your complaint seriously.

Leeds children’s services are committed to resolving complaints with you. This means that the manager looking into your complaint will want to meet with you to hear what you have to say and try to resolve your concerns quickly.

How to complain about children’s services

1. Talk to the staff who provide the service you are not happy with

First of all, if you feel comfortable doing so, you should tell the people providing the service about your concerns so they have a chance to put things right. For example, if you have a complaint about services at a residential care home then speak to the care home manager or supervisor if you can.

2. Contact children's services’ customer relations service


P.O. BOX 837 Customer relations


0113 378 5111

3. Complain by email

You can send us your complaint by email to

Please note: If your complaint is about suspected abuse or about health services you have received in a hospital, for example, then please visit the Other types of complaints section of this page.

If you need help making a children’s services complaint

If you feel worried or confused about making a complaint, there are people who can help:

  • You can ask a relative, friend or carer to help you make a complaint, or make a complaint on your behalf
  • If you are a child or young person who has a social worker or you are a care leaver up to age 25 years and require support to make a complaint, you can speak to the Leeds Children’s Rights Service on 0113 239 5570 or the freephone number on 0800 652 7212
  • If you have a learning disability, speak to Leeds Advocacy on 0113 244 0606. They will listen to you and tell customer relations why you are not happy. They will treat your enquiry in confidence and take your concerns seriously

Other types of complaint

If your complaint is not about the social care services you or someone else is receiving you will need to make your complaint in a different way.

Complaints relating to abuse or mistreatment

If urgent action is needed or a crime has been committed, contact the police on 999. Otherwise, call our contact centre on:

0113 222 4401 (adults) or
0113 222 4403 (children and young people)

Further information can be found on on our adult protection and child protection pages.

Complaints about other council services

If you have a complaint about another council service, visit our General complaints page.