Applying for a secondary school for September 2019
If your child was born between 1 September 2007 and 31 August 2008 they should start secondary school in September 2019, so you will need to make an application for a place at a secondary school*.
*unless your child currently attends Roundhay School or Carr Manor Community Primary School which are "All-through schools", where children automatically continue through to the secondary phase from the primary phase.
How to apply
Your application must be completed before 31 October 2018. You should apply using the online system which is open between 1 August and 31 October 2018. A link will be available on this page from 1 August.
Our secondary schools admissions guide video provides guidance for completing the online admissions application.
If you are not a resident of Leeds (you pay council tax to a different local authority) you will need to apply through your own local authority, even if you wish to apply for a place at a Leeds school.
You can preference up to five schools as part of your application. We recommend that you use all five preferences and read the admissions policies for each of the schools. Individual school admission policy information is available on each school page on Find a school.
|1 August to 31 October 2018||Apply for a place|
|1 March 2019||Offers go out|
|15 March 2019||Deadline to request a place on the waiting list|
|28 March 2019||Deadline to appeal|
|March to July 2019||Places allocated from the waiting list and appeals held|
|September 2019||Start Secondary School|
Secondary school admissions guide video
There are different types of schools in Leeds – some use the Leeds City Council Admissions Policy (PDF, 103KB) and others use their own.
Schools prioritise applications in different ways, with some prioritising based mainly on distance and others based on other criteria such as faith. It is important that you check the admissions policy for the schools you are applying for to understand where on their ranked list of applications your child might be.
Before you apply
Before you apply for a secondary school place, we advise you to:
- visit the schools you are interested in applying for before making your application to ensure that you are making an informed choice
- read the Leeds City Council composite prospectus (PDF, 2.3MB), which includes school information and individual school over-subscription criteria. This will help to ensure you include school(s) where your child has a realistic chance of being offered a place
- speak to staff in school or the Admissions Team to clarify any issues you are not sure about
- consider how your child will get to school and the potential transport costs
Before the closing date
Before the closing date of 31 October 2018 we advise you to:
- read the admissions policies for each of these schools you choose
- complete and return any supplementary information forms to schools who require them by the deadline
- if you are applying on behalf of a previously looked after child, complete a priority 1a Supplementary Information Form
- if you are claiming priority admission due to exceptional medical or mobility needs (priority 1b), check that your preferred school considers exceptional circumstances as part of their admissions criteria, and if so, complete a priority 1b Supplementary Information Form (SEN SIF)
- attach any applicable supporting evidence to your application
- complete your online application, including up to five preference schools
- ensure that your application form is submitted and that you have received a submission confirmation email