1. The Government carers' website has a large amount of information about rights and entitlements, see the external links section.
Call the Carers Direct helpline on 0300 123 1053 for confidential information and advice for carers.
Lines are open 9am to 8pm Monday to Friday (except bank holidays), 11am to 4pm at weekends. Request a free call back or an interpreted call back in one of more than 170 languages including ربي, বাংলা, 中文, Français, ગુજરાતી, Polski, Português, ਪੰਜਾਬੀ, Soomaali, Español, Türkçe and .اردو. You can talk to an adviser live online or send a query by email.
2. There is now ONE single point of access to help and support for all adult carers in Leeds:-
The service can be contacted by phone, email, home visit or by dropping in to the city centre base. Carers Leeds is based at: 6-8, The Headrow, Leeds LS2 6PT. Tel: 0113 3804300 (10am – 4pm Monday – Friday). Email email@example.com. There is a self referral form on their website, see the external links section.
- Up to date general information, advice and a listening ear for all family carers. Including advice on benefits and financial matters
- Specialist carers support workers for people looking after a person with mental ill-health, dementia, substance misusers, parent-carers of children with special needs
- Carers support groups in locations across the District
- Information and training sessions on a wide range of topics relating to looking after someone
- Social events
- Well-being sessions
- Volunteer befriending scheme
The service is open for drop-in callers on Tuesday to Friday 9.30 to 3.30pm, or by appointment on Thursdays 3.30 to 6pm.
The Willows Young Carers Support service (Barnardos Yorkshire) is for any young person aged 5 to 17 years who is looking after someone with a physical illness, disability or mental health problem or is affected by that persons care or health issues, including sibling young carers.
They provide advice and help to ensure that the child or young person is able to enjoy and achieve all the activities, educational and social goals of childhood. They are based at The HOST Media Centre, Saville Mount, Leeds LS7 3HZ and can be contacted on 0113 2622851 or by email: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are worried about what would happen if an emergency situation there is a special scheme called the Carers Emergency Plan Scheme which can replace the family carer for up to 48 hrs. For example, if you were admitted to hospital in an emergency, or if your car broke down and you were delayed home.
The service is provided by Housing21 which is a CQC registered personal care agency. To join the scheme Tel: 0303 1231921. Or email: email@example.com