Leeds City Council
  • A to Z
  • Newsroom
  • Contact us
  • Accessibility
  • A- A+

Ceremonies at Leeds Town Hall

Leeds Town Hall is Yorkshire's premier ceremony venue.​ A Grade I listed building, it provides a magnificent setting for your wedding or civil partnership.

Leeds Town Hall is a multi-purpose building and is a popular venue for conferences, concerts and other activities. Therefore we are unable to guarantee that ceremonies will have sole use of the building on the day of your ceremony. Whilst we will do our best to inform you in advance of your booking there may be occasions where other events are introduced at short notice. This may result in changes to arrangements for entering the Town Hall and to the availability of building facilities. ​

Ceremonies are available at the Town Hall between 9:15am and 4pm Monday to Friday and up to 3:45pm on Saturdays. 

Ceremony rooms at the town hall

The Brodrick Suite is tastefully decorated with contemporary furnishings and can accommodate up to 40 guests. A comfortable interview lounge and stylish waiting area complete the suite.

The Albert Room is a grand and impressive room. It can accommodate larger parties of up to 100 guests.

Both rooms are equipped with CD music systems which can connect to a MP3 player, mobile phone or USB connection.

How much does it cost?

Current charges until 31 March 2016
As well as the costs of giving notice (£35 per person) you must pay the registrar to attend and perform the ceremony. The fee, as detailed below must be paid at least 12 weeks before the date of the ceremony and it includes one copy of your marriage/civil partnership certificate.

Brodrick Suite (seats up to 40)
Monday to Thursday:       £130
Friday:                            £175
Saturday:                        £195

Albert Room (seats up to 100)
The Albert room is only available on Saturdays for £255.

The £50 wedding is the basic ceremony option. Your ceremony will take place in the Brodrick Suite.Only two guests are allowed that will act as your witnesses and no music or readings are available. This ceremony is only available on the last Monday of each month.

The fees are subject to change from 1st April 2016 and will be applied to all ceremonies taking place after this date, as detailed below.

Prices for ceremonies between 1st April 2016 - 31st March 2017
Brodrick Suite (seats up to 40)
Monday to Thursday:      £135
Friday:                            £185
Saturday:                        £215

Albert Room (seats up to 100)
The Albert room is only available on Saturdays for £265.

The £50 wedding (seats only 2)
It is only available on the last Monday of each month for the fee of £50.

The fees are subject to change as from 1st April 2017 and will be applied to all ceremonies taking place after this date.

Directions and access

Leeds Town Hall, The Headrow, Leeds, LS1 3AD

Leeds Town Hall is on the Headrow, at its junction with Calverley Street. There is no parking, although there is a dropping-off area at the front of the Town Hall. There is disabled access into both ceremony rooms and waiting areas. On Saturdays you can also enter by the main doors at the front of the Town Hall.​

Where can I get married if I'm housebound?

A person who is housebound is able to marry in their own home or in a hospital. A doctor must be prepared to sign a statement that the person is not able to be moved for a period of 3 months to a place normally registered for marriage.

The statement form can be obtained from your local Register Office and must be signed not more than 14 days before giving notice. Notice of marriage must be given in the district/s of residence of both parties. In the case of the housebound person the notice will have to be taken at home, which will incur an extra fee on top of the usual notice fee. The marriage must take place within 3 months of giving the first notice.​​​​​

Where can I get married if I'm terminally ill?

A person who is terminally ill is able to marry in a house or hospital. In these circumstances a doctor must sign a letter confirming that he/she is in medical attendance on the person and that the person is terminally ill and not expected to recover. The letter must also state that the person cannot be moved to a place where marriages could normally take place and can fully understand the importance of the marriage ceremony. The marriage can take place once the Registrar General has issued the licence for the marriage. Where necessary this may be on the same day that the arrangements are made although the marriage must take place within one month of giving the notice. Only one notice is given under these circumstances.

Can I get married in prison?

​A marriage can take place in a prison as long as the prison authorities agree that the marriage can be performed there. This agreement must be in the form of a statement signed by the Prison Governor not more than 21 days before you give your notices of marriage. The person in prison must give their notice to the local Superintendent Registrar. As the registrar will normally have to visit the prison in order to take the notice, this will attract an additional statutory fee. The other party to the marriage will also have to give a notice to the registrar of the district in which they live. The marriage, which can be civil or religious, must take place within 3 months of giving the first notice.

Cancelling a ceremony

We only accept cancellations from one of the parties. Cancellations can be made by phone, letter or email (register.headoffice@leeds.gov.uk). We will confirm cancellations in writing to both parties.

Ceremonies cancelled within 28 days of the ceremony taking place will incur a cancellation fee equivalent to 50% of the ceremony fee. All refunds will be made by cheque. No refunds can be made where no notice of cancellation is received up to the time of the ceremony.

Provisional booking administration fees cannot be refunded. ​​​​

Can I get married abroad?

You should first check with the authorities of the country in which you are getting married as to what legal preliminaries for your marriage are needed. Some countries require you to give notice of marriage in this country and to produce a certificate of no impediment in order for your marriage to go ahead. However, this facility exists only in certain circumstances.

Where two British subjects are getting married in a foreign country and both live in England and Wales, notice of marriage must be given by both parties in the district/s in which they have lived for the 7 clear days before giving notice. The informal Certificates of No Impediment can be issued 15 clear days after the date on which the notices were given.

There is no facility for giving notice of marriage where two British subjects are getting married in a British Commonwealth country. If a British subject is getting married to a foreign national in a foreign country notice can be given under the provisions of the Marriage with Foreigners Act. This facility requires the British subject to give notice of marriage in the district, in England and Wales, in which they have lived for three weeks before giving notice. Only one notice of marriage is given and a Certificate of No Impediment can be issued 21 clear days after the notice.

If you are not sure whether you are able to give notice of marriage, or your circumstances are different from those outlined above you should contact us on 0113 2224408.
If possible, you should register your marriage with the British authorities in the country in which you get married. This means that you can then obtain a copy of your marriage certificate in this country if you ever need one in the future.​ ​

How do I arrange a religious marriage?

Church of England or Wales

If you wish to marry in a Church of England or Wales you must normally either live in the parish or worship at the church. You should first speak to the Vicar as there is usually no need to involve the Superintendent Registrar. If the Register Office does need to be contacted the vicar will advise you.

Jewish marriage

Persons of the Jewish religion are able to marry in a private house, hotel or even outside in a garden as long as the marriage is to be conducted according to Jewish religious rites and both parties are of the Jewish faith. The marriage can take place at any time and does not have to be within the usual hours for marriage which are 8am and 6pm.

Other places of religious worship

If you choose to get married according to any other religious rites, the church or religious building must normally be located within the registration district where you or your partner lives. You can only be married in a building in a different district to where you both live ​if either of you go to worship in that building. You may also get married in another district if there is no building of your religion in the district where you or the person you are marrying, lives.

The ceremony will be conducted by a Minister or other religious leader although a registrar must also be present at the wedding unless an Authorised Person has been appointed by the church to register its marriages instead of the registrar. There will be a fee payable for the attendance of the registrar.

After having arranged your wedding at the church or religious building you must contact the Register Office if a registrar is to register your wedding to ensure that you can be married on the day and at the time you have chosen. You will also need to give a formal notice of marriage.

What happens at a marriage or civil partnership ceremony?

A civil marriage or a civil partnership cannot have any religious content.

We have a choice of ceremony wording which the registrar will discuss with you when you give notice. The ceremony wording options are available in the documents section. You can have music as part of your ceremony.

If your ceremony is taking place in a licenced venue or on Fridays and Saturdays at the Leeds Town Hall you can also add reading to enhance your ceremony.

On the day

Before ceremony the registrar's will interview the bride and groom to make sure all the details for the marriage are correct.

Guests and the groom will be conducted into the ceremony room.

The bridal party will enter the ceremony room (usually to music).

The registrar leading the ceremony will introduce the ceremony, ask the bride and groom to declare their marriage vows and exchange rings.

The bride, groom and witnesses will sign the marriage register or if it is a civil partnership, the partnership schedule. (Background music is usually played during the signing).

Photographs are usually taken at this point.

The registrar will give the couple a copy of their marriage certificate and invite guests to be upstanding.

The bride and groom will exit the ceremony room, followed by the bridal party and guest (usually to music).

What is the minimum age to get married or have a civil partnership?

The minimum age for marriage in this country is 16 years. If either of you is aged 16 or 17 you will need to provide proof of consent to your marriage from either your parent(s), guardian(s) or the court(s). Please contact us on 0113 222 4408.​

What is the cheapest way to get married?

The £50 wedding is the basic ceremony option. Your ceremony will take place in the Brodrick Suite. However, only two guests are allowed that will act as your witnesses. No music or readings are available. This ceremony is only available on the last Monday of each month.

So the total cost for the cheapest marriage/civil partnership will cost £120. This includes giving notice of marriage £35 each and the £50 wedding.​​​

How do I arrange a same sex Marriage?

​From 29 March 2014 the Same Sex Marriages Act allows for a same sex couple to marry in a civil ceremony in England and Wales. It also allows for a religious marriage ceremony to take place where the religious organisation has “opted in” and the minister agrees to conduct the ceremony.

The same requirements for arranging a marriage will apply to all marriages ie for same sex and mixed sex couples. Please see “Giving your notice of marriage or civil partnership”.

Please note that if you have already given notice to register a civil partnership you will need to give a new notice if you choose instead to have a same sex marriage. You will need to pay a new notice fee.

At a later date (to be announced) it will be possible for existing civil partners to convert their civil partnership into a marriage. A fee will be charged.​​

GOV.UK site for further information regarding same sex marriage

follow us:

  • twitter