Roundhay Park is one of the most popular parks in Leeds due to its size, grandeur and array of things to see and do. The park covers over 700 acres of rolling parkland, lakes, woodlands and formal gardens and contains several cafes, two playgrounds, a popular visitor attraction called Tropical World and more.
Roundhay Park is three miles north of Leeds city centre. It is very large but a good place to start is at the following address:
Other car parking facilities are available off Wetherby Road and Princes Avenue.
There is a map of the site available in the downloads section of this page
Bus numbers 2 and 12 run from Leeds City Centre to Roundhay Park regularly every day.
Most of the paths at Roundhay park are accessible for wheelchairs
Mobility scooters are available to hire for free on 0113 378 2073, booking essential.
Attractions and Facilities
- Tropical World Zoo (see related page for more details)
- Explorer's cafe
- Skate park
- Visitor Centre
- Lakes and streams
- Award winning gardens (see related page entitled 'Specialist Gardens' page for more details)
- Start point of Wyke Beck Way cycle route to Temple Newsam (see downloads section for the route leaflet)
- Shops at Tropical World and Mansion
- Education/meeting rooms in Mansion
- Sports pitches - football, rugby, cricket, tennis, grass cycling track
- Canoe club
Roundhay Park hosts numerous events ranging from brass bands to bonfire night with 70,000 attendees.
For more information on events see the Parks and Countryside Events leaflet in the Documents section.
To book Roundhay Park for an event, go to the 'Booking Parks' in the related pages section of this page.
The Friends of Roundhay Park are a large group of supporters of the park who aim to protect the natural beauty and improve the facilities and resources of the park. They do this in various ways including fundraising, campaigning and undertaking practical work on site. For more information visit their website which you can find in the External Links section of this page.
History of the Park
A brief history of Roundhay Park can be found in the Documents section of this page.
- Email us using the 'Contact Us' form on this page
- Parks and Countryside Head Office – 0113 395 7400 (8am to 4pm, Monday to Friday)
- ParksWatch (24 hour helpline) – 0113 232 9973
- Dog Wardens – 0113 222 4407