Register to vote
  • A to Z
  • Newsroom
  • Contact us
  • Accessibility
  • A- A+

Register to vote

You must be on the electoral register in order to vote. Being registered to vote increases your chances of getting applications for credit or a mortgage accepted. Everyone is responsible for registering themselves. You will need your nation​al insurance number to hand.

Opens in new windowRegister to vote online

If you are in the British forces or living overseas you can register to vote via a paper form. If you are a student you can visit the About My Vote website for information on how to register to vote.

If you would like to know more about the registers we keep or if you want to opt out of the open register, see the Electoral and Open Register page. ​​​​​​​​

Frequently Asked Questions:

Click to expandI've just moved house. Do I need to re-register?

​Yes.  Go to the official government website.  You will need to provide some personal information including your national insurance number.  ​​

Click to expandCan I register for a postal or proxy vote?

Everyone who is registered under the new system (which came into effect in June 2014) is entitled to a postal or proxy vote. For further information and details of how to apply, visit the Postal Voting page or the Proxy voting page.​

Click to expandHow do I opt out of the open register?

​To opt out of the open register please fill out and send us the 'Open register opt out form'.

You can fill this in online and email it back to us at or print it and return it by post to the address found in contact us section on this page.

Click to expandCan I register at two addresses?

People are usually registered at one address only, which they consider to be their permanent home address. Students can register at their term-time address and their non-term-time address. If you are living somewhere temporarily but have a permanent address, you should register at the permanent address.  ​

Click to expandHow can I change my name or correct a spelling mistake on the register?

You need to re-register with the correct details through the national registration site. You will need your national insurance number to hand.​​

Click to expandCan I vote if I have no permanent or fixed address?


You can still register to vote even if you do not have a fixed address. This could be because:

  • you are homeless or have no fixed address
  • you are a person who has been remanded in custody, but you have not yet been convicted of any offence
  • you are a patient in a mental health hospital

To register, you need to give an address where you would be living if it were not for your current situation or an address where you have lived in the past. If you are homeless, you can give details of where you spend a substantial part of your time.

Follow the link below for further information on how to register.​​​​​

Electorial registration form for someone with no fixed or permanent address

Click to expandCan I register by post?

Yes. You need to download and print off an application form from the link below and return it to:
Electoral Services
Level 2
Town Hall
The Headrow
Leeds  LS1 3AD​ ​​​​​

Register to vote by post form

Click to expandHow can i get confirmation that I'm on the Register of Electors?

​​If you have recently applied to appear on the Register of Electors you will receive a letter of confirmation around the publication date of the Register, usually on the first working day of the month. This is supplied free of charge.

If you just want to find out if you are on the register but don't need a letter to prove it then you can contact us by phone or email (see the Contact us section). There is no charge for this.

If you have not recently applied but need official confirmation that you are on the Register of Electors for a mortgage, loan or credit agreement for instance, we can send you an official letter. There is a charge of £20. We can accept payment by cash, cheque or postal order.​​ To request this please use the 'Contact us' email form on this page and provide your name and address or write to us and enclose payment.​

To view documents in PDF format you will require the free Download Adobe Reader Adobe Acrobat Reader

Did you find the information you were looking for?