Club Premises Certificate
  • A to Z
  • Newsroom
  • Contact us
  • Accessibility
  • A- A+

Club Premises Certificate

Licence Summary

A club premises certificate allows a members club to supply alcohol, provide regulated entertainment or serve late night refreshment.

More information on club premises certificates can be found in the legislation:
Licensing Act 2003.  Detailed information on the legal process that must be followed in order to apply for a club premises certificate can be found in the regulations: Licensing Act (Premises Licences and Club Premises Certificates) Regulations 2005

However we have some guidance which may be easier to understand, and which gives the details specific to Leeds, in the documents section on this page.

In brief, applications must be sent to the council on the specific form, be accompanied by the fee and a plan of the premises.  Applicants have to advertise their application in the local newspaper and place a site notice at the club which can be read by members of the public.

If we receive representations objecting to the application we will arrange a hearing. The outcome of this hearing would be that the licence can be granted or granted subject to additional conditions, licensable activities listed in the application can be excluded, or the application can be refused.  The licensing authority will give a notice of the decision to the applicant, anyone who has made a representation and the police.  If there are no representations to the application, the certificate will be granted 29 days from the day the licensing authority received the application.

How to apply

If you would like to apply by post, you can download the forms and guidance from the download section of this page.  You can complete the forms and post or email them to us.  We can accept payment by cheque in the post, by card over the phone, or by cash, card or cheque at our offices.

Apply online

The following links will take you to an external website  On occasion there are technical difficulties which result in applicants not being able to pay for their application online.  If this happens the website will request that the application is submitted again.  Should you have any difficulties making payments using please contact us so that we can take payment over the phone.  Please do not resubmit the application.  We can confirm if we have received it when you call.  If you are applying outside of office hours you can email us with a phone number and a convenient time and we will call you back.

Will Tacit Consent Apply?
Tacit consent applies to a club premises certificate application if no relevant representations are made during a period of 28 days from the day after the application is received by the Licensing Authority.  This target date is known as the "last date for representation". The application will be deemed granted after the last date for representation.

If relevant representations are made within the 28 day consultation period tacit consent does not apply and a public hearing must be held to determine your application. The public hearing will be held within 20 working days after the last date for representation. The hearing date may be extended if the Licensing Authority considers it is in the public interest to do so.

Please contact us in the first instance.  Any applicant, responsible authority or person making representation is able to appeal the licensing authority’s decision to a magistrates court within 21 days of the notice of decision. Full details of how to appeal are provided with the decision notice.  Members of the public who are experiencing problems with licensed premises may wish to read Guidance on Problem Premises.

Public Registers or databases
We hold public registers of premises licence applications which can be accessed through the Public Access Portal.

Trade Associations

  • Association of Licensed Multiple Retailers (ALMR)
  • Broadcasting, Entertainment, Cinematograph and Theatre Union (BECTU)
  • Federation of Licensed Victuallers Associations (FLVA)
  • Institute of Entertainment and Arts Professionals (IEAP)

Responsible Authorities

As part of the application process for a premises licence or club premises certificate, applicants are required to send a copy of their application to the responsible authorities. In Leeds, the responsible authorities are:

  • Leeds City Council, Entertainment Licensing, Civic Hall, Leeds LS1 1UR
  • West Yorkshire Police, Leeds District Licensing Office, Millgarth Police Station, Leeds LS2 7HX
  • West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service, Service Delivery Centre, Fire Protection Department, Stanningly Road, Bramley, Leeds, LS12 3PL
  • Leeds City Council, Health and Environmental Action Service, Millshaw Office, Millshaw Park Way, Churwell, Leeds LS11 0LS
  • Leeds City Council, Health and Safety Team, Health and Environmental Action Service, Millshaw Office, Millshaw, Park Way, Churwell, Leeds LS11 0LS
  • Leeds Safeguarding Chidrens Board, Leeds City Council, 3rd Floor, 2 Great George Street, Leeds LS2 8BA
  • Leeds City Council, City Development, Planning Compliance Service, The Leonardo Building, 2 Rossington Street, Leeds LS2 8HD
  • West Yorkshire Trading Standards Service, Licensing Team, PO Box 5, Nepshaw Lane South, Leeds LS27 0QP
  • NHS Leeds, Tech North, 2nd Floor, 9 Harrogate Road, Chapel Allerton, Leeds LS7 3NB

In addition, the Health and Safety Executive are also a responsible authority.

  • Health and Safety Executive, The Lateral, 8 City Walk, Leeds, LS11 9AT

However, they will only need to be sent a copy of the application where Leeds City Council’s Environmental Health Service is not the enforcing authority under the Health and Safety at Work Act , e.g. premises of a crown body, a local authority, the police, a hospital, a school or a university. Please see the Health and Safety (Enforcing Authority) Regulations 1998, or contact the Health and Safety Team in Environmental Health Services for clarification – telephone (0113) 247 7791 or

Use of Personal Data
We are under a duty to protect the public funds we administer and may use the information you have provided in your application for the prevention and detection of fraud. We may also share this information with other bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds for these purposes.

To view documents in PDF format you will require the free Download Adobe Reader Adobe Acrobat Reader

Did you find the information you were looking for?