Our Offer and Support to Leeds Care Leavers

We are constantly updating and reviewing the information on this website, and would welcome your feedback and suggestions.

Let us know by email

In 2018 the government introduced new laws to ensure that any care leaver (up to the age of 25 years old) who wants and needs support from a Personal Advisor could get one. Before April 2018 this was only available for to Care Leavers up until 21 other than in some specific situations.

These new powers have helped us to look at how we can make our services for Care Leavers better. We have been working together with different services, partners and care leavers to make sure that we have the right support available, at the right time to help and that it is easy to understand and access.

By clicking on the links below you can find out more about what services you can access and how you can get help.

If you have any questions or want to speak to somebody about these services you can call the Leeds Care Leavers Service on 0113 378 1149 or email us at careleavers@leeds.gov.uk.



Money SupportMoney Supporthttps://www.leeds.gov.uk/youthinformationHub/care-leavers/entitlements
Passport to Independent LivingPassport to Independent Livinghttps://www.leeds.gov.uk/youthinformationHub/care-leavers/passport



Care Leaver Service Contact DetailsCare Leaver Service Contact Details<div class="ExternalClassD46B1C9D3ED64DAB9DB2A813739BE22F"><p>Call the Care Leavers Service on <strong>0113 378 1149</strong></p><p>Email the Care Leavers Service at <a href="mailto:careleavers@leeds.gov.uk">careleavers@leeds.gov.uk</a>.</p><p>We're here: Mon to Thurs 8:30am to 5pm; Fri 8:30am to 4:30pm.</p> <p>If you can't get ahold of your PA, call the number above and the Duty worker will be able to help you.</p><p>If you have an emergency outside of office hours, call the Emergency Duty number.​​​​</p></div>
South Team Contact DetailsSouth Team Contact Details<div class="ExternalClassC0A3F8A76CB44556958BCCC98C872F4A"><strong>Call South Teams on</strong> – 01133781666 <br><br>We're here: Mon to Thurs 8:30am to 5pm; Fri 8:30<span id="ms-rterangecursor-start" style="display:none;"></span><span id="ms-rterangecursor-end" style="display:none;"></span>am to 4:30pm <br>If you can't get ahold of your PA, call the number above and the Duty worker will be able to help you. <br><br>If you have an emergency outside of office hours, call the Emergency Duty number.​​</div>
Emergency Duty TeamEmergency Duty Team<div class="ExternalClass2E663A44F5AD41E2B814B5E0C23EFD05"><strong>Call Emergency Duty Team</strong> - 0113 535 0600<br></div><div class="ExternalClass2E663A44F5AD41E2B814B5E0C23EFD05"> <br><br></div><div class="ExternalClass2E663A44F5AD41E2B814B5E0C23EFD05"><br></div><div class="ExternalClass2E663A44F5AD41E2B814B5E0C23EFD05"><br></div>
Leave a Compliment/Complainthttps://www.leeds.gov.uk/youthinformationHub/Documents/Our%20Promises%20to%20Children%20in%20Care_young%20people.pdf, Click here to download the Promise leafletLeave a Compliment/Complaint<div class="ExternalClassFB951D2A94AB4362BED8F5C03A07BB00">You can let us know how we're doing by contacting us to leave a compliment or complaint. <div><br></div> <div>Phone: 0113 395 0310 </div> <div>Email: tellsteve@leeds.gov.uk</div> <div><br></div> ​</div>
Get your case recordGet your case record<div class="ExternalClass818EF66F0C6C462283BC929C12D0AE68">You can request a copy of the information held in your case record. This is called making a Subject Access Request. <br> <br>The best thing to do is to talk with your PA about this. They can help you to get a copy of the form you need to complete and then help you to complete it and send it off if you want.<br></div>



What will happen when I turn 18?What will happen when I turn 18?<div class="ExternalClassE56222FCE75C47E18519BE5544313B3C">When you turn 18 you are legally classed as an adult and will be independent.This doesn’t mean you will go unsupported. <br><br>In most cases, a young person leaving care is referred to as a Care leaver and you are no longer looked after. <br><br>As a young adult, you can get on-going support from a personal advisor until you are 25. A personal advisor can meet with you to help you achieve your goals set out in your Pathway Plan. As a young adult, you can expect the right support to help you achieve your goals, for example, apprenticeships, volunteering opportunities, ready to work programmes, and more. ​​​​​​​</div>
What can I expect from my personal advisor (PA)?What can I expect from my personal advisor (PA)?<div class="ExternalClass45E9E2E2A35941A195C2811A9DC4BF7F"><p>Within our Care Leavers service we have teams of ‘Personal Advisors’ who can provide you with personal support and help you with any worries or concerns you have, or to get to more specialist services if you need them.</p><p>Our PA’s are trained specialists and are skilled in helping young adults with a whole range of needs with things like accommodation, education, training and employment, health and wellbeing or finances. They can also refer you to specialist support services, helping you to attend them if you want their support with this.</p><p>You will get to meet your allocated PA before your 18th Birthday, so you can start to get to know them and build a relationship with the before you leave care.</p> <p><strong>- Your PA will meet up with you at least every 8 weeks</strong>, but this is likely to be much more frequently. Your PA will also remain in contact with you through phone calls, e mails, texts, and you can meet them at their office, in your home or another venue, working out between you what’s the best way to keep in touch and how often that should be.</p><p><strong>The PA is there to help you</strong> make informed choices about your future. They can offer advice about the best routes to achieve your goals and will be a reliable adult for you to get support from.</p><p><strong>- Pathway Plan.</strong> They will also work with you to complete your Pathway Plan. This is a live document which you and your PA can update as your life changes. It helps both you and your PA consider the type of support that you most need and will help you to measure your progress.</p><p><strong>- Lost touch with your PA?</strong> If you have not been in touch with your PA but want help or support, you can contact them or the Care Leaving Service and get support with any issues you have up to the age of 25. If you want to get back into education before you turn 21, you can get in touch before your 21st birthday and get support again up to the age of 25.</p></div>
I'm 21. What if I want to start education (or get back into education)?I'm 21. What if I want to start education (or get back into education)?<div class="ExternalClassDFBACEDC56484843AE04EDD2C1676194">If you get back into education, or start for the first time, before your 21st birthday, you can get in touch with the Care Leaving Service and get support from a PA, including financial support.<br> <br> ​​​​​<br></div>
What is a Pathway plan and how does it help me?What is a Pathway plan and how does it help me?<div class="ExternalClassA0205B531D7E47128D5A3F42ED6C14A3"><p>Your social worker will complete your first Pathway Plan with you when you're around 15 and 3/4.</p><p>The Pathway Plan helps you set out a plan to achieve everything you'd like to with your life, and lets your PA know where you'd like their support with this.</p><p><strong>It should cover:</strong></p><ul class="list list-bullet"><li>your opinions and wishes</li><li>your education, training and employment plans</li><li>your health and wellbeing</li><li>contact with your family</li> <li>your financial management skills</li><li>making informed choices</li><li>personal development</li></ul><p>Your PA needs to meet with you at least every 6 months to review and update the plan to make sure it reflects your wishes and plans as accurately as possible. We know you might change your mind about where you'd like to be and what you'd like to do - and this might happen between meetings. So if you've changed your mind, give us a call so we can talk about the changes and how we can support you.</p><p><strong>Things that might be on your Pathway Plan:</strong></p><p>If you want to get ready to live independently, you and your PA might do some work together on how to budget to make your money last, what kinds of bills you'll have to pay, and start applications for a supported tenancy, or a council housing or a flat.</p><p>If your goal is to go to university, then your PA can help you look at your next steps to help get you there so you can achieve this, for example, entry criteria qualifications you might need to get and what financial support you can access once you're there.</p></div>
What if I'm not getting the support I need?What if I'm not getting the support I need?<div class="ExternalClassE2DB5EBE68204E3BA79D766DF1BDEF25"><p>If you think you're not getting the support you need, please get in touch with your PA first to let them know what you want and see if they can help.</p><p>If this doesn't work, you can get in touch with their team manager or the customer relations team to register a complaint, contacting them by phone or e mail:</p><p><strong>Phone:</strong> 0113 395 0310</p> <p><strong>Email:</strong> <a>tellsteve@leeds.gov.uk</a></p></div>
Where else can I get support? Who do I need to be in touch with?Where else can I get support? Who do I need to be in touch with?<div class="ExternalClass561C069C27A345918F790344EA683086">As you leave care, as a young adult, you will need to learn to work with services on your own - for example, the NHS, Housing, Benefits Agency and other places like college or your work.<br><br> While you get support from your PA, they can help you with these things. This is a great chance for you to begin to do it on your own - let your PA hang back and see if you can sort it for yourself.  <br><br> Click on the link below to see other services who may be able to help with different issues for you following leaving care. These are the same resources listed on your leaving care closure letter. ​​</div>



Emergency Numbershttp://www.police.uk/contact/101/, Click here for more information about when to call 101http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/AboutNHSservices/Emergencyandurgentcareservices/Pages/NHS-111.aspx, Click here for more information about when to call 111 (NHS)https://www.westyorkshire.police.uk/, Click here for more information about when to call 999Emergency Numbers<div class="ExternalClassA4CB29F566854FB6BAEAEB64C2F01674"><strong>Call 101</strong> <br>This number is for non-emergencies that still require assistance from the police, ambulance or fire services. <br><strong>Call 111 </strong><br>This number is for non-emergencies that require medical attention quickly - such as when you think you might need to go to A&E. (See + button for Medical Care to find other places to get help.)​ <br><strong>Call 999 </strong><br>This number should only be used in an emergency. The Police should only be called on 999 when someone is at risk of getting injured, being threatened or a crime or is being committed and is in progress, or where there is a danger to life or a risk of injury being caused imminently.</div><div class="ExternalClassA4CB29F566854FB6BAEAEB64C2F01674"><br></div><div class="ExternalClassA4CB29F566854FB6BAEAEB64C2F01674"> The Ambulance Service should only be called on 999 for serious injuries, such as:</div><div class="ExternalClassA4CB29F566854FB6BAEAEB64C2F01674"> <br> -loss of consciousness <br>-acute confused state and fits that are not stopping <br>-persistent severe chest pain <br>-breathing difficulties <div>-severe bleeding that cannot be stopped​ <br> <strong><br>All of these numbers are free to call. You don't need to have credit on your phone.Even if your phone doesn't have a SIM or is locked, you will be able to call an emergency service.</strong>​</div></div>
Medical Help when you're injured (not emergencies)http://http//www.nhs.uk/Service-Search/UrgentCare/UrgentCareFinder?Location.Id=12472&Location.Name=Leeds%2C%20West%20Yorkshire%2C%20LS1&Location.County=West%20Yorkshire&Location.Postcode=LS1%203&Location.Latitude=53.801&Location.Longitude=-1.549&IsAandE=, Find an NHS Walk-in Centre near youhttp://http//www.nhs.uk/Service-Search/UrgentCare/UrgentCareFinder?Location.Id=12472&Location.Name=Leeds%2C%20West%20Yorkshire%2C%20LS1&Location.County=West%20Yorkshire&Location.Postcode=LS1%203&Location.Latitude=53.801&Location.Longitude=-1.549&IsAandE=, Find an Urgent Care/Minor Injurites Unit near youMedical Help when you're injured (not emergencies)<div class="ExternalClassAB092B95C94043A8B8F6DE84D8B192B4"><strong>NHS Walk-in Centres can treat the following: </strong><br>infections and rashes, blood pressure checks, fractures and lacerations, emergency contraception and advice, stomach aches, vomiting and diarrhoea, hay fever, insect and animal bites, stitches (sutures), dressing and care of minor cuts and bruises, minor burns and strains, stop smoking support.  <br><strong><span id="ms-rterangecursor-start" style="display:none;"></span>Minor injuries units and urgent care centres can treat:<span id="ms-rterangecursor-end" style="display:none;"></span></strong> <br>sprains and strains, broken bones, wound infections, minor burns and scalds, minor head injuries, insect and animal bites, minor eye injuries, injuries to the back, shoulder and chest​.  <br>See links below to find one near you...</div>
Emergency Gas numberEmergency Gas number<div class="ExternalClass220653AB417749199CE9DFCB3A9DAF32"><span id="ms-rterangecursor-start" style="display:none;"></span><span id="ms-rterangepaste-start"></span><div><strong>If you can smell gas in your home<span id="ms-rterangecursor-end" style="display:none;"></span></strong> call this number immediately.​</div> <div>0800111999</div> <div><span id="ms-rterangepaste-end"></span></div></div>
Housing Emergency Out of HoursHousing Emergency Out of Hours<div class="ExternalClassC3D3DAE16C5944EB8580AD40CE957810"><span id="ms-rterangecursor-start" style="display:none;"></span><span id="ms-rterangepaste-start"></span><div><font color="#333333"><strong>If you are homeless in an emergency and it is outside of our opening hours<span id="ms-rterangecursor-end" style="display:none;"></span></strong> – we operate an emergency service which you can access by telephoning:</font></div> <div><font color="#333333">07891273939</font></div> <div><span id="ms-rterangepaste-end"></span></div></div>
Leeds City Council Housing RepairsLeeds City Council Housing Repairs<div class="ExternalClassEF53DB0B6FB340B0A7B53695C5958130"><span id="ms-rterangepaste-start"></span><div><strong>If you have a tenancy with Leeds City Council</strong>, you can use this number to report any damages/repairs to your property and arrange for the problem to be solved.​​<span id="ms-rterangecursor-start" style="display:none;"></span><span id="ms-rterangecursor-end" style="display:none;"></span></div> <div>01133760410 </div> <div><span style="font-family:verdana, sans-serif;font-size:8pt;background-color:window;">​</span><br></div></div>
Free Legal Info about Carehttp://www.becomecharity.org.uk/for-young-people/care-advice-line/, Become: Free Legal info about CareFree Legal Info about Care<div class="ExternalClass30BA5348ED434B619F7241823B1F1C93">Get answers about topics like sibling contact or going back to live with your parents.​<br></div>



Jobs in Leeds on Leeds Pathways sitehttps://www.leeds.gov.uk/leedspathways/home, Jobs in Leeds on Leeds Pathways siteexternal
Available now: Short, Flexible Start Courses in Leedshttps://www.leeds.gov.uk/leedspathways/Pages/Flexible-Short-courses-in-Leeds.aspx, Available now: Short, Flexible Start Courses in Leedsexternal



Care Leavers' Foundation: Support for Care Leavershttp://www.thecareleaversfoundation.org/, Care Leavers' Foundation: Support for Care Leaversexternal
Network for Care Leavershttps://www.facebook.com/cludup/?fref=nf, Facebook Pageexternal



Our Promise to youhttps://www.leeds.gov.uk/youthinformationHub/Documents/Our%20Promises%20to%20Children%20in%20Care_adult%20version.pdf, Our Promise to youexternal
Care Leaver's Charterhttps://www.gov.uk/government/publications/care-leavers-charter, Care Leaver's Charterexternal



Care Leavers Councilhttps://breezeleeds.org/have-your-say/voice-and-influence-for-looked-after-children, Care Leavers Councilexternal
Young People's Zone: Coram Voicehttp://www.coramvoice.org.uk/young-peoples-zone, Young People's Zone: Coram Voiceexternal



Your journey: What happens and whenhttps://www.gov.uk/leaving-foster-or-local-authority-care, Your journey: What happens and whenexternal
What happens when you leave care? from the Who Care's Trusthttp://www.thewhocarestrust.org.uk/pages/leaving-care-what-happens.html, What happens when you leave care? from the Who Care's Trustexternal



TBChttps://www.leeds.gov.uk/youthinformationHub/Lists/Care Leavers/DispForm.aspx?ID=9pdf