Register of Common Land, Town or Village Greens

The register is a statutory register open for inspection by any member of the public during reasonable office hours and an appointment is required.

If you would like more information or you wish to make an appointment to view, please contact us by email at There is no charge for this service.

Common land is land usually in private ownership that now or in the past has had common rights over it.Common land is generally open, unfenced and remote particularly in the upland areas of England and Wales.

Town and village greens share a similar history to common land. They are defined separately for the purposes of the Commons Registration Act 1965. Village greens are usually areas of land within defined settlements or geographical areas which local inhabitants can go onto for the exercise of lawful sports and pastimes.Typically these might include organised or ad-hoc games, picnics, fetes, dog-walking and other similar activities.Whilst land forming town or village greens may be privately owned, many greens are owned and maintained by local parish or town councils.

We keep a register of commons and towns or village greens. You can apply for an official search of the register by ticking Enquiry 22 on Form Con29(O) Optional Enquiries which relates to Common Land and Village Greens. Usually a solicitor will fill this in and submit it to us although you can do this yourself. An Alternative sources for data document, used to answer Con29R and O Forms, is available from the Documentssection of this page. For fees please see the Local Land charges page.

Applications to register Town or Village Greens

One key component of the criteria for registering new town or village greens under section 15(1) of the Commons Act 2006 is that the land has been used as of right (which means without permission, without force and without secrecy) for at least 20 years.

From 1 October 2013 the law has been amended to enable a landowner to deposit a Landowner Statement accompanied by a map, which brings an end to any period of recreational use as of right over the land to which the statement and map relate.

Should you have any queries in respect of existing registrations or require any information with regard to the procedure for making and application to register a new town or village green under the Commons Act 2006, or should you wish to make an application to register a Landowner Statement, please email for a copy of the application form, notes of guidance and details of the fees payable.

An electronic version of the Register is available from the Documents section on this page.

Currently Publicised Town or Village Green Applications

Notice of publication of Village Green Application Gledhow Field, Gledhow Primary School, Leeds 8 (REFERENCE A76/JL/VG217)

Further to the holding of a Public Hearing into the application on December 2017 chaired by an independent Inspector, a Report seeking determination of the application was considered by the Members of the Council’s North and East Plans Panel on 9th August 2018.

The Inspector concluded that use of the application site for lawful sports and pastimes by a significant number of inhabitants of the neighbourhood within a Locality, had not taken place for the whole of the 20 year period immediately preceding the making of the application. Plans Panel accepted the Inspector’s recommendation, and, therefore resolved that no part of the land known as Gledhow Field be added to the Register of Town and Village Greens.

The Panel meeting minutes along with the report considered and background documents are available to view:

It is open to the applicant to challenge the lawfulness of the decision made (as with other Local Authority decisions) by means of Judicial Review in the High Court within three months from the date of the decision of the Local Authority. The Court is not concerned with the outcome or merits of a decision, but whether or not the law was applied properly and the correct process followed.

Commencement of corrective applications under the Commons Act 2006

From the 1 December 2014 the government will bring into force two parts of the Commons Act 2006 which will allow the rectification of the Village Green and Commons Registers in limited circumstances.

People will have the power to apply to Leeds City Council to amend the registers of common land and TVGs under Section 19(2)(a) of the Commons Act 2006 to correct a mistake made by your authority (or its predecessors); and under paragraphs 6 to 9 of Schedule 2 of the Commons Act 2006 to remove buildings/land that were wrongly registered either as common land or town or village green.

The Guidance on how these applications should be made and how they will be processed will be available from the DEFRA website

Section 19(2)(a) states that people can apply to correct a mistake made by the Commons Registration Authority in making or amending an entry in the register. This would be a mistake in law by the Registration Authority or a mistake in registering land that was not in the original application plan. There will be no charge for these applications. For all for applications made under paragraphs 6 -9 of Schedule 2 of the Commons Act 2006, a fee of £1000 is payable to Leeds City Council.​​​




Register for Highways and Commons Act Register.xls104960xls

Did you find what you were looking for?

Did you find the information you were looking for?