Party Wall Act 1996

In addition to needing planning permission and building regulations approval, The Party Wall Act 1996 also applies to anyone carrying out:

  • Work on an existing wall or building shared with another property.
  • Building on the boundary with a neighbouring property.
  • Excavating within 3 or 6 metres of a neighbouring building or structure depending on the depth of the hole or proposed foundations

You must serve a statutory notice on all those defined by the Act as adjoining owners to get their agreement before you start work. If your neighbour lives in a house owned by Leeds City Council, then you must also send a copy of the notice to the area surveyor. You can get their address by contacting the relevant office for your area on 
0800 188 4000 or 0113 3760410.

The Act provides a framework for preventing and resolving disputes in relation to party walls, boundary walls and excavations near neighbouring buildings. ​



Did you find what you were looking for?

Did you find the information you were looking for?