Leeds City Council is undertaking a selective review of the Core Strategy.
The Leeds Core Strategy sets out the strategic town planning policy framework for the district to 2028. Since the adoption of the Leeds Core Strategy in November 2014; it has become apparent that a number of policy areas are in need of review to respond to new circumstances, evidence and/or the general effectiveness of policies.
The Core Strategy Selective Review seeks to address this. As the Core Strategy was recently adopted in November 2014, only limited selective alterations to the Plan are considered necessary. The selective review will result in a series of focused amendments to the adopted Core Strategy. The scope of the Review was consulted on in 2017.
The Council proposes to review the following parts of the Core Strategy:
- Reviewing the housing requirement in Policy SP6, housing distribution in SP7, and extending the Plan period to 2033
- Introducing new policy on housing standards with minimum space standards, and accessibility standards for new housing in policies H9 and H10
- Updating policy and requirement on affordable housing by amending Policy H5
- Reviewing the requirement for greenspace in new housing developments by amending Policy G4
- City Centre Green Space, making minor amendments to Policies G5 and G6
- Incorporating new national policy regarding Code for Sustainable Homes by updating the wording of Policies EN1 and EN2 and a consequential change to EN4
- Introducing a new Policy for Electric Vehicle Charging Infrastructure (EN8)
Consultation on the scope of the Plan (Regulation 18) - Summer 2017
This consultation took place from Monday 19th June to 31st July 2017 and invited the public to comment on the proposed scope of the Plan.
In terms of consultation material, a CSSR “Scope and Content” document was made available setting out the proposed areas for review, reasons, evidence and alternatives considered.
Consultation on Publication Draft CSSR (Regulation 19) Spring 2018
This consultation was advertised for a period of 6 weeks from the 9th February 2018 until 5pm on 23rd March 2018.
Key policy changes of the Plan :
- Amended Policy SP6 (housing requirement)
- Amended Policy SP7 (housing distribution)
- Amended Policies EN1 and EN2 (new national policy regarding Code for Sustainable Homes) and a consequential change to EN4
- New Policy EN8 (electric vehicle charging infrastructure)
- Amended Policy G4 (greenspace)
- Amended Policy G5 and G6 (city centre greenspace)
- Amended Policy H5 (affordable housing)
- New Policy H9 (Housing Standards for Minimum Space Standards)
- New Policy H10 (accessibility standards for new housing)
- Extending the Plan Period to 2033
Publication Draft Plan Supporting Documents
The following documents support and provide the background evidence for the policies.
What happens next?
All representations received during the consultation period have been considered by the Council. The Plan will be sent to the Planning Inspectorate, as part of the examination of the Plan by a Government appointed Planning Inspector.