Organising Events

Organising an event

Leeds City Council and the Safety Advisory Group (SAG) are committed to working with local event organisers in looking for practical solutions to enable community events to successfully take place.

If you would like to organise an event in Leeds the following information and guidance will help you get started.

Events on council owned spaces

There are several council managed event spaces available to hire (PDF 5.6MB) for your event in Leeds. For more information regarding hire fees and availability please contact the appropriate team directly:

Event locationContact nameTelephoneEmail
Leeds city centreCity centre management0113 378 6646
Millennium Square or Victoria Gardens​Events team0113 378 6988
Parks around the city​​Parks and Countryside0113 378 6002

If the venue is available on the date that you have requested you will be asked to fill in the relevant application form and provide the following documentation:

Public Liability Insurance

It is a legal requirement that appropriate insurance cover is provided for the event by the event organiser.

Risk Assessment

An event specific risk assessment is essential in ensuring that hazards are identified and the risks they present are effectively reduced so far as is reasonably practicable, by the application of adequate control measures. For more information on event safety please refer to the HSE guidance for event safety.

Event Management Plan

An event management plan (EMP) is a vital document which outlines all the key command, control, communication and operational details of the event and how it will be delivered safely. A useful EMP template (Word 116KB) is available for use if you do not have one.

Please aim to have the first version of your EMP submitted to the SAG no later than 90 days before your event, in line with best practice.

Events on non-council or privately owned land

If your event is to take place on non-council/privately owned land please notify the Leeds Safety Advisory Group Support (Events) Team by completing the SAG event notification form (WORD 25KB) and refer to the other considerations and frequently asked questions sections below.

Road closures

If you are considering closing the road to normal traffic and/or your event is likely to impact on the wider road network, then you will need to first gain approval from the Highways department. You must then fund a temporary Traffic Regulation Order and employ an accredited traffic management contractor to undertake the works required. If your event off the highway but is expected to attract significant numbers of visitors then you may also need to employ a contractor to manage access and egress.

Members of the Highways department can advise on this process and help to make your event safe and successful. Please email

Peaceful Protests, Demonstrations, Rallies and Marches

Before organising a protest, demonstration, rally or march, or related activities please contact the West Yorkshire Police and inform them of your intended activity.

During police liaison please outline estimated size, proposed location/route, and any additional information with as much detail as possible to help the event take place safely.

Other considerations

Temporary Event Notice (TEN)

A temporary event notice can be used for the occasional sale of alcohol, regulated entertainment and the sale of hot food and drink (between 11pm and 5am). It can also be used to replace an existing premises licence should you wish to provide additional licensable activities or increase the hours of the licence for a limited time. However, irrespective of the size of the premises/event site, a temporary event notice is restricted to events that have occupancy of no more than 499 persons at any one time, which includes event staff and performers.

Small scale events

The Construction (Design & Management) Regulations 2015 (CDM 2015) cover the management of health, safety and welfare when carrying out construction projects, including events. The guidance for small scale events (PDF 0.4MB) aims to assist event organisers in understanding their responsibilities, sharing information with contractors and managing risks during the build and break phases of an event.

Premises Licence

For events with a capacity of 500 persons or more, a premises licence will be required where it is proposed to carry on one or more licensable activities, such as, sale of alcohol, regulated entertainment and the sale of hot food and drink (between 11pm and 5am).

You can find further information and guidance on applying for a premises license and/or Temporary Event Notice (TEN) on the Alcohol and Entertainment page.

The GOV.UK: Entertainment Licensing page provides a useful overview for certain types of regulated entertainment and licence requirements.

Further information


0113 378 5029


Frequently asked questions



Can I hold a protest march or procession?Can I hold a protest march or procession?<div class="ExternalClassC1C4A05557C443E696F60D6B342C98AC"><p>​​The law on notification for marches (or processions as they are called in the Act) is set out in section 11 of the Public Order Act 1986.</p> <p>The organisers of a procession are required to give advance notice of the march to the local police force. The notice, which can be in the form of a letter, should be given at least 6 clear days before the procession. Failure to give notice can be punished with a fine.</p> <p>The notice should give the date and start time of the procession and the proposed route. It should also include the name and address of at least one of the organisers.</p> <p>The law does recognise that it may not be reasonably practicable to give notice, because the procession is an immediate or speedy response to some unexpected event. Organisers should give the police as much notice as you can in order that they can make the necessary arrangements.</p> <p>The police will do all they can to facilitate your protest and may allocate a liaison officer to negotiate with you regarding the route and times of the march.</p> <p>In some circumstances the police can impose conditions on a protest procession. If this is being considered, the police will inform you.</p> ​​</div>
Are banners and placards allowed at protests?Are banners and placards allowed at protests?<div class="ExternalClassAA1F8EFB343541B590ECADB307873174">​​<p>Yes, you can of course carry banners and placards but these should not contain any words or images which may be offensive or threatening.</p> <p>If you have any doubts about what may be deemed offensive, you are advised to consult with a solicitor.</p> ​<span id="ms-rterangecursor-start" style="display:none;"></span><span id="ms-rterangecursor-end" style="display:none;"></span></div>
Do I have to ask for permission to hold a protest rally in a public area?Do I have to ask for permission to hold a protest rally in a public area?<div class="ExternalClass119FC27B7EC145ED93E5B7ED420E84FC"><p>​​In general you have the right to Freedom of Expression and Freedom of Assembly enshrined in Articles 10 and 11 of the European Convention on Human Rights. Articles 10 and 11 also place obligations on the police and public authorities to positively facilitate protest.</p> <p>There is generally no legal requirement to give the police (or anyone else) notification to hold a public assembly. It is however good practice to give the police advance warning so that they are not surprised and can make arrangements to police it.</p> <p>You should also consider asking permission from a land-owner if you intend to assemble on private land.</p> <p>The public squares in Leeds city centre such as Victoria Gardens, Millennium Square, Dortmund Square, and City Square, are owned by Leeds City Council. These public areas can be used for protest rallies.</p> <p>You should be aware though that they are often used for functions and events, and you should check with Leeds City Council to check whether a different group will be using them on the day you plan.</p> ​<span id="ms-rterangecursor-start" style="display:none;"></span><span id="ms-rterangecursor-end" style="display:none;"></span></div>
Will the police direct traffic for a gala parade I am planning?Will the police direct traffic for a gala parade I am planning?<div class="ExternalClassBC45A3CE5DE1445F9E8F028A7AF881C6"><p>No, the policy of West Yorkshire Police is that the force will not deploy officers to control or direct traffic for galas and similar events. The force cannot ‘hire ‘officers to you for this purpose.</p> <p>If your event is taking place on the public Highway you should contact Leeds City Council Highways Department for advice.</p> <p>In most cases they will require you to obtain the services of a ‘competent person’ to prepare a traffic management plan to ensure that your event can proceed safely and ensure that disruption is kept to a minimum.</p> ​</div>
How do I get permission to collect for charity in the street?How do I get permission to collect for charity in the street?<div class="ExternalClassF4F4AF1E4026450B847AB04ABAFF9D62"><p>In order to collect in the street you must obtain a licence from the Local Authority. The police cannot authorise collections in the street.</p> <p>In order to collect on private property, you must have permission from the property owner/manager to collect and ensure you only collect on times/dates/areas specified.</p> <p>It is a good idea to have written authorisation from the owner or manager of the property.</p> <p>Further information on street collections can be found on the <strong><a href="/Business/Pages/Street-Collection-Permits.aspx">Street collections and permits page</a></strong>.</p> ​<span id="ms-rterangecursor-start" style="display:none;"></span><span id="ms-rterangecursor-end" style="display:none;"></span></div>



Event management plan template management plan template.doc118784doc
Event spaces guide spaces guide.pdf867096pdf
CDM for Small Scale Events for Small Scale Events.pdf368239pdf
Crowded places guidance
SAG event notification form event notification form.docx38203docx

Use this form to give us your comments. Do not use it to give us personal information - please contact us if you need to get in touch.