Complaints, compliments and feedback - let us know

Tell us what you think about our service – we are always glad to hear from you. If you want to tell us about something we have done well, if there's something you want to feedback about or if you would like to make aformal complaint, this page will tell you how.

When to use the compliments, complaints and feedback form

Use the compliments, complaints and feedback form to:

  • give a compliment - tell us about something we have done well 
  • feedback - tell us your experience of Leeds City Council so that we know how we need to improve in the future or
  • make a formal complaint - if you have spoken to the service your problem relates to and are unhappy with their response then we can investigate further

Alternatively you can call us on 0113 222 4405 or use the email form in the Contact us section.

Compliments, complaints and feedback for Children's Services and Adult Social Care

Specific information is available for providing compliments, making complaints and providing feedback about Children's Services and Adult Social Care.

Compliments, complaints and feedback about Leeds City Councillors

Please read the information provided on the Code of Conduct page which can be found in the Related Pages section.

If your enquiry is not a formal complaint, compliment or feedback

If you simply have an enquiry about one of our services you can find their contact details on the Contact Us page. Alternatively you can email

What happens next

When a complaint is made our aim is to acknowledge your complaint in 3 working days and provide you with a response within 15 working days. Our compliments and complaints policy is available in the Documents section on this page.

If you remain dissatisfied after you have complained to us, we will give you information about the Ombudsman. The Ombudsman is an independent public body who can investigate how the council has handled your complaint. You can find out more on the Local Government Ombudsman website or the Housing Ombudsman Service website.



How do you deal with a complaint of fraud, theft or corruption by a member of your staff?How do you deal with a complaint of fraud, theft or corruption by a member of your staff?<div class="ExternalClass605703AC075C4B4C942FA1AB8600164E">​We are committed to being open and accountable for our staff. If you have serious concerns about a member of Leeds City Council’s staff or the misuse of council resources, please come forward and let us know. All concerns will be treated in the strictest of confidence. Please write to: <br><br>Internal Audit, <br>3rd Floor West, <br>Civic Hall, <br>Leeds LS1 1GF <br><br>Email: <a href=""></a> <br>Tel: 0113 3788008.​​<span id="ms-rterangecursor-start" style="display:none;"></span><span id="ms-rterangecursor-end" style="display:none;"></span></div>
How do I make a complaint about a councillor or a member of parliament?How do I make a complaint about a councillor or a member of parliament?<div class="ExternalClassC0B05FB502004A83BF0CD7B30DB757DD"><p>​Complaints about councillors or members of parliament are not covered under the council’s corporate complaints policy <br><br>For complaints about councillors <br>please write to:-<br>Governance Services unit<br>4th Floor West <br>Civic Hall<br>Leeds<br>LS1 1UR<br>E-mail: <a href=""></a><br></p> <p>For complaints about members of parliament please write to:-<br>Office of the Parliamentary Commissioner for Standards<br>House of Commons<br>London<br>SW1A 0AA<br>Email: <a href=""></a><br>Tel:020 7219 1883</p></div>
How quickly will you respond to my complaint?How quickly will you respond to my complaint?<div class="ExternalClass196F41B3A0024167B563326FF271F06A">When dealing with complaints, it is our aim to resolve the complaint and leave you feeling that it was handled fairly and appropriately. We will aim to respond to your complaint within 15 working days. Complaints about either adult or children’s social care issues are dealt with under separate statutory timescales – please refer to our compliments and complaints policy for further details. ​<span id="ms-rterangecursor-start" style="display:none;"></span><span id="ms-rterangecursor-end" style="display:none;"></span></div>
What is a designated person's role? Can I go direct to the Housing Ombudsman with my complaint?What is a designated person's role? Can I go direct to the Housing Ombudsman with my complaint?<div class="ExternalClass372B8711B492421FA224EA274C10E58F">A designated person has a number of options open to them. Within 8 weeks of you receiving the council's final response, they can:<br>a. Seek to resolve your complaint with the council <br>b. Choose to refer your complaint directly to the Housing Ombudsman. They must do this in writing, and have your written consent to do this. The Housing Ombudsman will accept complaints by email <a href="">at</a> <br>c. Decide not to investigate your complaint or refer the matter to the Housing Ombudsman. <span id="ms-rterangecursor-start" style="display:none;"></span><span id="ms-rterangecursor-end" style="display:none;"></span>They must confirm this in writing to you. If you choose not to contact a designated person, you must allow 8 weeks from the date of the council's final response before you contact the Housing Ombudsman. <br> <br>The only exception to this is if a designated person has decided not to take any action (option c). If the designated person has confirmed this in writing to you, you do not have to wait 8 weeks before you approach the Housing Ombudsman. ​</div>
What happens after I have made a complaint?What happens after I have made a complaint?<div class="ExternalClass001AD202F0574EDD9F0A1AC533AE9E09">Leeds City Council has a 2 stage policy. However complaints about either adult or children’s social care issues are dealt with under separate statutory timescales – please refer to our compliments and complaints policy for further details.<br><br> Stage 1:<br>Stage 1 of a complaint is the first formal stage and our policy is to respond in full to you within fifteen working days of receipt of your complaint, wherever operationally possible.  <br><br> Stage 2:<br>If you remain dissatisfied following our investigation at stage 1, you can ask for your complaint to be looked at again by a more senior officer. Our policy is to respond within the same timescales as stage 1.<br><br> Next steps:<br>There is no further right of appeal to the Council. Our response at stage 2 will contain the contact details for the Local Government Ombudsman’s office. ​​<span id="ms-rterangecursor-start" style="display:none;"></span><span id="ms-rterangecursor-end" style="display:none;"></span></div>
Who are 'designated persons', and how can I contact them?Who are 'designated persons', and how can I contact them?<div class="ExternalClassB0F2488919E44705AE185B867B583550">​From 1 April 2013 the Localism Act 2011 put into place new arrangements if you are dissatisfied with the council's final response to your complaint about some housing issues.  Under the new arrangements, you have the option to approach a ‘designated person’ before complaining to the Housing Ombudsman.<br>A designated person can be any local councillor, any MP in England, or a recognised independent tenant panel (not currently in place in Leeds).<br> <br>To find details of your Leeds councillors, either by ward or by political party, go to the council’s website at: <a href=""></a> <br> <br>A list of MP’s is available at: <a href=""><br></a> <br>You will need to give your consent to the designated person to act on your behalf.  A copy of our advocacy form is available under the documents tab.</div>



Internal Memo Generic Advocacy Consent Form.pdf38708pdf
Compliments and complaints policy 2015 and complaints policy update Nov 2015.pdf102982pdf
Customer Care Standards Standards.pdf57429pdf

Did you find what you were looking for?

Did you find the information you were looking for?