Leedswatch security service

Leedswatch CCTV operators currently monitor over 1000 public surveillance cameras covering areas across Leeds including city and district town centres, including some industrial and local authority housing estates. Working in partnership with West Yorkshire Police, Metro, Urban Traffic Control, BACIL and Taxi and Private Hire Licensing, CCTV provides reassurance to partners, businesses, other local authority departments and the general public, enabling prompt, appropriate responses to incidents and presenting accurate details of events, as they unfold. CCTV assists greatly with the prevention, detection and reduction of crime and the fear of crime in order to make communities feel safer.

I’ve been involved in an incident, can I request CCTV footage?

PLEASE NOTE that members of the public are NOT permitted to view CCTV footage. If you have been involved in an incident, the following action is advised:

  • Car collision / incidents (without Police involvement / crime number) You should contact your insurance company / solicitor to request the footage (which will be chargeable) and these should be sent to cctvenquiries@leeds.gov.uk by your insurance company / solicitor
  • Car collisions / incidents (with a Police crime number) You should report an incident / crime to the Police who have an internal procedure for requesting CCTV footage. Callers should NOT contact Leeds City Council direct as they will be advised to re-contact the Police.
  • Parking tickets / fixed penalty notices / lost property If you are disputing the issuing of any tickets / notices you need to address this direct with the issuer. CCTV footage cannot be used to sort out parking disputes or matters such as lost property.

Can I make a Subject Access Request (SAR) for footage?

Members of the public can request footage of themselves ONLY and must state clearly the time when the incident occurred. This would be handled as a Subject Access Request. SAR requests should be sent to the IMG team for assessment, in the first instance. Requests should be sent to DPFOI@leeds.gov.uk. Please read further information about your indivdual rights.


Leeds City Council provides an Alarm Response Service. Safer Leeds officers provide a mobile patrol service across Leeds that incorporates responding to Alarms and keyholding in addition to random premises checks. These are carried out on various public and private buildings and range from schools to sheltered housing complexes, large industrial properties to car parks. Also under the Leedswatch banner is the Parkswatch services that incorporates mobile officers on off-road vehicles (bikes) undertaking duties such as locking and unlocking parks and cemeteries and responding to reports of anti-social behaviour in parks and open spaces.​​​​​​​​


1. What is the difference between a Freedom of Information (FOI) request and a Subject Access Request (SAR)?

You can make a request for any information the council may hold under the Freedom of Information act for example, ‘how many CCTV cameras are there citywide?’ The council has 20 working days to respond to a FOI request from the date of receipt.

Your personal information can be requested under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and the Data Protecion Act 2018. Requesting your information is classed as a Subject Access Request for example, ‘I would like all information about me held on the councils housing systems’. The council has 30 days to respond to your request.

2. How do I make An FOI request?

If you wish to make a request for information under the Act, then this must be in writing, must contain a name and address for correspondence, and must describe the information you are seeking. Requests can either be e-mailed to dpfoi@leeds.gov.uk or can be sent by post to: Freedom of Information, Information Governance, 8th Floor West, Merrion House, Merrion Way, Leeds LS2 8BB.

To find out more about the Freedom of Information Act, visit the information commissioner's office online​.

3. How do I make a SAR request?

If you wish to make a request for your personal information under the act, this can be made verbally or in writing. In order for us to ensure that we release information to the appropriate individuals, we will need to check your identity. To do this we will need two identifying documents, preferably one with a recent photo. You may either photocopy your documents and have the copies signed by a reputable individual, such as a teacher or doctor; or contact us to arrange a visit to one of our offices, where we will take copies.

4. What happens if I have been involved in a Road Traffic Accident/Incident and I would like to request CCTV footage?

Please note the councils procedure for handling requests for CCTV footage in relation to road traffic collisions is that requests will only be accepted, in writing from insurance company's or solicitors rather than the policy holders this is in line with our CCTV Code of Practice.

The administration fees are £ 54.00 inclusive of VAT for the initial search fee and £84.00 inclusive of VAT for each DVD copy required

5. Can I request CCTV footage if I have been a victim of a crime?

Please note we do not give CCTV footage out to the general public. Footage can be seized by the police when they are investigating incidents, or in the case of civil law, insurance companies and solicitors can also request footage, when they are investigating an insurance claim or other incident where the allegation needs to be verified / evidenced.

6. How long is CCTV footage stored for ?

Any images recorded are stored on digital recorders and retained for 31 days as per the Leedswatch Code of Practice.

7. Can I request footage of other people or incidents I have not been involved in ?

Under the Data Protection Act we cannot disclose footage of other individuals, as this would be classed as their data and personal to them.

As a result CCTV footage of other individuals is classed as third party data and not suitable for release.