Swap your home with a mutual exchange

A mutual exchange occurs when two tenants decide to swap homes. If you rent from a council or housing association this could be a fast way to find a new home.

Leeds Homes is part of a national mutual exchange register called House Exchange where you can find other tenants in Leeds and other parts of the country who want to swap homes. You can use the House Exchange website to put you in touch with other tenants wanting to swap their homes. You will need to complete the online registration form to receive your ID number and password to use the website.

The Housing Exchange service is free and has helped tenants across the country to move home far more quickly than if they had gone through their local council’s rehousing process. After registering, you can search for people who may be looking for a home like yours. You will need to visit the site regularly, as it removes customers who don’t log into the site for 3 months.

Please note that you need to be a secure tenant to have a right to mutual exchange, and we can refuse a request in some circumstances, such as if we are taking action against you for rent arrears.

Finding a swap

New customers join the scheme on a daily basis, so if you don't find a swap straight away, keep logging onto the website every week or so.

Once you have found someone to swap homes with, you will need to check each other's homes before agreeing to move. You also need to contact your landlord to get permission for the mutual exchange to go ahead. You must not move without getting your landlords written agreement. If you do, you will have to move back to your original home and may even risk losing your home.

To request a mutual exchange

Once you have decided on a swap then please fill out the Mutual Exchange Request Form (PDF, 102KB) and take it to your local housing office. If you do not already have an active housing application, ensure you complete one and hand this in as well. Your mutual exchange cannot be completed if you do not have an active housing application.

£500 Mutual Exchange Incentive Scheme for Leeds City Council Tenants

  • Are you under occupying your current home?
  • Are you overcrowded in your current home?
  • Do you have either priority band A or B on your housing application?

If you answered yes to any of the above and are a Leeds City Council tenant, you could potentially receive £500 if you carry out a mutual exchange.

For further details of the incentive scheme please see the Leeds Homes website's mutual exchange scheme information.





Mutual Exchange Incentive Schemehttps://www.leeds.gov.uk/docs/Mutua-Exchange-Incentive-Scheme.pdf174968pdf

Did you find what you were looking for?

Did you find the information you were looking for?