The Housing and Planning Act is now law but most of the changes won’t take place until next year. This will mean big changes for council tenants, including the possibility of higher rents in some cases.
The main changes will be:
- The removal of the right to a lifetime tenancy
- The introduction of Pay to Stay
- The removal of some succession rights
- The sale of higher value council homes
- New powers to tackle rogue landlords of private rented sector homes
- The promotion of ‘Starter Homes’
The drop down headings on this page give you more information about each of these changes.
We are waiting for more information from the government on how the changes will affect our tenants and when they will start. We will update the website as we receive more information.