Moving to an adapted or sheltered home

This page explains about our sheltered housing schemes, partner housing associations, medical assessments and adaptations to your current property.

Information on sheltered complexes can be found in the Documents section on this page. You can also find more information below. ​



Applying for an assessmentApplying for an assessment<div class="ExternalClass9F3DB02C3AFB415E9D81280BC3DA6898"><p>​We understand if you wish to remain in your own home wherever possible.</p> <p>This may mean an aid or adaptation is placed within your home to assist you with independent living.</p> <p>We recognise that this is not always possible. A variety of options can be considered after an assessment of need is carried out. This is usually done by an occupational therapist or assistant. They look at how your medical condition impacts upon your housing, and what aids and adaptations need to be put in place to allow you to remain there.  An example of this would be a stair lift to aid you if you have difficulty on stairs. </p> <p>To refer someone you know who may be in need of an assessment for adaptations, you should call:</p> <p>Adult social care <strong>0113 2224401</strong><br>Children’s social care <strong>0113 2224404</strong></p> <p>The assistance you will receive is dependent upon if you own your own home, you are a tenant of the Council or other Registered Social Landlord, or a private tenant with the landlord's agreement.</p> <p>If you need to move to provide support to someone, or you are on the Leeds Homes Register and require an assessment or medical recommendation due to the health needs of yourself or someone in your household due to your current property not being suitable for your needs, you may request an assessment by calling:</p> <p>Health and Housing<strong> 0113 3952562</strong></p> <p>Supporting evidence to verify any expressed health needs will form part of the assessment. Medical correspondence from your doctor, a consultant or other third parties is always advisable.<br>If you live outside Leeds but need to move, a form will be posted for you to complete and return, along with supporting evidence.</p></div>
Adapting you current homeAdapting you current home<div class="ExternalClass81F6AC2DA52642848446767807A52DDB"><p>​If you feel your housing needs are changing due to medical problems, the Health and Housing service will carry out an assessment of your home and how it may be impacting on your health. </p> <p>If we establish your home impacts on your health and wellbeing but interventions such as adaptations or a lifestyle change are not appropriate we can potentially increase the ‘priority’ level on your housing application and make a specific recommendation about the kind of property you need.</p></div>
Sheltered housingSheltered housing<div class="ExternalClass7A2E972582A24D86849F1D06A84C52B2"><p>​Sheltered housing is usually provided for people who are:</p> <p>60 and over, <br>have a medical housing recommendation, or<br>have care and support needs</p> <p>To find out if you could be eligible for a medical housing recommendation you would need to have an assessment. See the section <strong>Applying for an assessment</strong> below.</p> <p>Our sheltered housing schemes range from purpose-built accommodation, studio flats and bungalows to multi-storey flats. <br>All of our sheltered housing tenants have the option to be connected to a telephone care service which is available 24-hours a day, seven days a week for emergencies.</p> <p>Living in sheltered housing means you can keep your independence, with the support of a range of services aimed at giving you control over your life. </p></div>
How to applyHow to apply<div class="ExternalClassCE4AC0E397E14956895F9326B7F43D1F"><p>​To apply for sheltered housing with Leeds City Council, you will need to complete a Leeds Homes Membership form. </p> <p>All vacant council sheltered properties are advertised in the Leeds Homes magazine/website every week. You  will need to bid for any specific properties you are interested in.</p> <p>You can also apply for sheltered properties with some housing associations: some of these properties are also advertised in Leeds Homes but not all of them therefore we would always advise to apply direct too. </p> <p>You can find details of the Housing associations in Leeds in the related pages section. </p></div>



Sheltered Housing Schemes Housing Schemes.pdf100291pdf

Did you find what you were looking for?

Did you find the information you were looking for?