We are working hard to stop housing fraud and ensure that homes go to the people who need them and have obtained them fairly.
Councils have powers of prosecution and require people who have committed housing fraud to pay back the profits of unlawful subletting on conviction.
We will take action against anybody who commits housing fraud and your help in reporting it is important because you can see what’s going on in your neighbourhood.
There are different types of housing fraud such as:
- not telling the truth when applying for a property – e.g. claiming to have children when you don’t
- permanently living somewhere else (someone else may be living at the property or it may just be empty)
- sub-letting a property without permission. This is a criminal offence
- living in a property after someone has died without the right to do so
Do you suspect housing fraud? Tell us in confidence
If you suspect someone is a housing cheat, let us know. It could make a real difference. We will keep your name and details confidential or, if you prefer, you can let us know anonymously.
You can make a report by emailing email@example.com or calling 0800 188 4000.
When you contact us, we will need to know:
- Address of property being sublet / not occupied
- Why you suspect housing fraud
- When did you last see the rightful tenant
- Any information about who is using or visiting the property
- Any other relevant information
- If you are willing to make a statement about the fraud?
- Your name (you can choose not to give this)
- Your contact details (you can choose not to give this)