Housing Benefit for council tenants

​As a Council Tenant you can apply for help towards your rent by claiming Housing Benefit.

It is your responsibility to find out if you are entitled to housing benefit, and to make a claim if you are eligible and make sure it is paid.

The amount of housing benefit you could get depends on:

  • the amount of rent you are charged
  • your income (and your partner’s income if you have one)
  • your savings
  • the number of children that live with you
  • other people in your household and their income
  • if you or someone in your family is ill or has a disability
  • how many bedrooms your family needs

You can get advice at your local Housing Office or One Stop Centre.

To find out more please visit our Housing Benefits page.​



Did you find what you were looking for?

Did you find the information you were looking for?