If you are finding it difficult to afford your rent

​If you don’t pay your full rent on time you will fall into rent arrears. Rent arrears are priority debts and if you don’t pay them you could lose your home. We don’t want this to happen.

Please tell us if you are having problems paying your rent. We can help you get your payments back on track.

When you contact your local Housing Office or One Stop Centre, we will always:

  • Listen to what you have to tell us
  • Help you with a claim for housing benefit
  • Help you find other agencies that may be able to help you
  • Discuss payment plans that you can afford.

The Money Information Centre can give you advice about dealing with rent arrears and other problems. ​​



What will happen if you don't pay your rent?What will happen if you don't pay your rent?<div class="ExternalClass70E626C1398D476E9B324DF996256F1B"><p>We will contact you if your account goes into arrears. This is to discuss payments and let you know where you can find advice and assistance.</p> <p>If we write to you or leave messages for you, please contact us without delay. Call <strong>0800 188 4000</strong> or email <strong><a href="mailto:housingenquiries@leeds.gov.uk">housingenquiries@leeds.gov.uk</a></strong>. </p> <p>We want to help you if you are having problems paying your rent but if you don’t work with us to sort out your rent arrears and they reach an un-acceptable level we can take legal action including:<br></p> <p> </p> <ul><li>going to court</li> <li>applying for an eviction - if this happens you will be homeless</li></ul> <p><br>Whatever type of legal action we take you will have to pay legal costs.</p> <p>We may also find it necessary to cancel any application for re-housing.</p> <p>If you are evicted for not paying your rent and still owe Leeds City Council rent arrears, this will be passed to a debt collection agency.</p> <p>Please get in touch if this is happening to you. </p></div>



Did you find what you were looking for?

Did you find the information you were looking for?