Urgent and emergency repairs

Before reporting a repair, remember some minor repairs are your responsibility, or may not qualify as urgent. Please read the Repairs and Maintenance handbook in the Documents section for more information.

If there is any fault or urgent damage to your property which you feel requires attendance within the next 3 days, you can request a repair by:

  • telephoning 0800 188 4000
  • visiting your local housing office or One Stop Centre

Important information about repairs:

  • You cannot request urgent/emergency repairs using the online system, we ask you to call us so that we can make sure your emergency is dealt with as soon as possible. This can't be guaranteed if it's booked online
  • When you contact us to report an urgent or emergency repair we will ask you to answer some questions to make sure that attendance is urgent.
  • If an engineer attends your property and it is not deemed an emergency by our criteria you may be charged.
  • If you are out when our contractor calls, your job will be cancelled and you will need to report the repair again and arrange a new appointment.
  • ​No gas or electric? First check to see that you have credit on your pre-payment meter and there is no local power cut before reporting to us.



Bogus callersBogus callers<div class="ExternalClass2B8F88BDA18D4255BDD81CA313BA44CC">We, and our contractors, will always introduce ourselves, show our identification (ID) card and explain why we are visiting you. We will always inform you when we are leaving your home.<br><br>Please watch out for bogus callers!<br><br> You should always be wary when someone you don’t know comes to the doorstep. Most callers are genuine but sometimes people turn up unannounced, intending to trick their way into your home. Bogus callers may be smartly dressed, or in work-wear and claim to be from the council or our contractors.<br><br> Before you let anyone into your home to carry out repairs, always ask to see their identity card. <span id="ms-rterangecursor-start" style="display:none;"></span><span id="ms-rterangecursor-end" style="display:none;"></span><br> ​​</div>
Improvements and alterations to your homeImprovements and alterations to your home<div class="ExternalClass28F50B2DF7884A24B350A85442441EDF"><p>Before carrying out improvements or adaptations to your home you must seek permission from us. You can download a <strong><a href="/docs/Permission%20to%20make%20an%20alteration%20request%20form.pdf">“Permission to make an alteration request form”</a></strong> from the documents section below.</p> <p>You should take full details of the improvements/alternation to your local housing office to log your request for the improvements/alternation works.</p> <p>We may request further information or arrange for an inspection before making a decision.</p> <p>Your local housing officer will provide you with appropriate advice and the procedures on granting consent.</p> <p>You must ensure your improvements/adaptations works meet Building Control and Health and Safety Regulations.</p> ​​​​</div>
Making improvements and alterations to your homeMaking improvements and alterations to your home<div class="ExternalClassDCE3405B68E9414D9B8A1F0E681E8DD3"><p>​Before carrying out improvements or adaptations to your home you must get written permission from us first. Your request should be put in writing on a form you can get from any Housing Office, One Stop Centre or Community Hub. You can also <a href="/docs/Permission%20to%20make%20an%20alteration%20request%20form.pdf"><strong>download a "Permission to make an alteration request" form</strong></a> (PDF 91KB).</p> <p>​You should submit full details of the improvements/alteration to your local housing office to log your request for the improvements/alteration works. Your local housing officer will provide you with appropriate advice and the procedures on granting consent.</p> <p>​You will receive a written response with our decision but sometimes a home visit may be necessary to discuss your request in more detail. We will check that the completed work would be safe and will assess the effect on the property and other people.</p> <p>​If we do not give permission, we will give our reason. For example, the improvement may affect your safety or our ability to maintain and repair your home.</p> <p>​Work should not start without permission and must be carried out by a competent person. Gas fittings must be done by a Gas Safe registered engineer. Electrical work must be done by registered NICEIC or ECA installers.</p> <p>​Examples of improvement work can include:</p> <p>• installing kitchens or bathrooms<br>• installing gas or electric fires<br>• installing showers<br>• installing burglar alarms<br>• any electrical additions or alterations, including new wiring<br>• installing laminate flooring<br>• building conservatories, sheds and garages<br>• installation of a ‘hard standing’<br>• erecting fencing<br>• built in wardrobes and cupboards<br>• removing or filling walls​​</p></div>



Permission to make an alteration request formhttps://www.leeds.gov.uk/docs/Permission to make an alteration request form.pdf93081pdf
Repairs handbookhttps://www.leeds.gov.uk/docs/Repairs handbook.pdf922412pdf

Did you find what you were looking for?

Did you find the information you were looking for?