What we are responsible for
We must, by law, keep the main structure and outside of your home in good repair. We also carry out certain essential repairs that could affect your health and security such as:
- heating breaking down
- faulty electrics
- blocked drains
- burst pipes
- doors and windows that cannot be secured properly.
We are responsible for most repairs to the main fixtures and fittings that we have provided inside your home and for carrying out repairs in communal areas. You must make sure you report faults for repair promptly.
What you are responsible for
As a council tenant you are responsible for maintaining your home to an acceptable standard.
- damage caused by you, members of your family or your visitors (including accidental damage)
- blockages that you have caused to any kitchen or bathroom waste system
- clearing blocked gullies of rubbish/leaves etc.
- batteries to smoke and carbon monoxide detectors and testing them
- re-fixing or replacing toilet seats
- replacing light bulbs
- your own fixture and fittings such as washing machine, tumble dryer, or dishwasher.
DIY videos page has several short videos which will help you to fix some of these common repair issues yourself.