Gas, electricity and water

Burst pipes, electricity supply failure and heating breakdowns with no other form of heat qualify as emergency repairs.

For details of how to report an emergency or urgent repair please see the related pages section.

If there is a total power failure, no electric or gas, first check to see that you have credit on your token meter.




Electrical appliancesElectrical appliances<div class="ExternalClassD07D5C62CE0340A9A1C66DCDA81DDE0B">Always switch off any appliances when not in use and pull out any plugs.<br><br>Never take electrical items into the bathroom.<br>  <br><span id="ms-rterangecursor-start" style="display:none;"></span><span id="ms-rterangecursor-end" style="display:none;"></span>Don't overload sockets. <br><br> Don't touch electrical appliances with wet hands.<br><br> Get to know your fuse box and how it works. <br><br> Report all broken switches, light fittings or exposed wiring to the Repairs and Maintenance Service.<br><br> Keep sockets safe from children by fitting socket covers ​</div>
Gas applicancesGas applicances<div class="ExternalClass100FB0C77C02474D960DA25DB96D8A58"><p>There are some boiler faults can cleared quickly by you without having to wait for an engineer. Please go to the website for your make of boiler and download the user manual for your model. Each manual will have a troubleshooting guide that is easy to follow. Common boiler makes include: <br></p> <ul><li><a href="">Baxi boilers</a></li> <li><a href="">Brittony boilers</a> </li> <li><a href="">Danfoss boilers</a></li> <li><a href="">Horstmann boilers</a></li> <li><a href="">Ideal boilers</a></li> <li><a href="">Ravenheat boilers</a></li> <li><a href="">Vaillant boilers</a></li> <li><a href="">Vokera boilers</a></li> <li><a href="">Worcester boilers</a></li></ul> <p> </p> <p>Do not attempt to remove the outer cover or repair the boiler yourself.  </p> <p>If you wish to install any gas appliances you must request our permission. If permission is given the gas appliances must be fitted by a Gas Safe registered engineer. <br><br>You must also agree to the appliance being inspected as part of our gas servicing programme. <br><br>You must not use any room which has an open flue appliance as a bedroom. Don't block up ventilation holes or air bricks, or allow plants to do so. </p></div>
Improvements and alterations to your homeImprovements and alterations to your home<div class="ExternalClass28F50B2DF7884A24B350A85442441EDF"><p>Before carrying out improvements or adaptations to your home you must seek permission from us. You can download a <strong><a href="/docs/Permission%20to%20make%20an%20alteration%20request%20form.pdf">“Permission to make an alteration request form”</a></strong> from the documents section below.</p> <p>You should take full details of the improvements/alternation to your local housing office to log your request for the improvements/alternation works.</p> <p>We may request further information or arrange for an inspection before making a decision.</p> <p>Your local housing officer will provide you with appropriate advice and the procedures on granting consent.</p> <p>You must ensure your improvements/adaptations works meet Building Control and Health and Safety Regulations.</p> ​​​​</div>
What do I do if I've got no electricity supply?What do I do if I've got no electricity supply?<div class="ExternalClassBBB6E0E5028D4CE3A43422FC68BA05EC">Before contacting us, please check that there is not a power cut in your area. Call Yorkshire Distribution (YEDL) on <strong>0800 37 56 75</strong> ​<span id="ms-rterangecursor-start" style="display:none;"></span><span id="ms-rterangecursor-end" style="display:none;"></span></div>
What do I do if I've got no water supply?What do I do if I've got no water supply?<div class="ExternalClass8952CC23E02A4B508B965F99D6FE0D28">Before contacting us, please check that there is not a problem with the water supply in your area. Call Yorkshire Water on <strong>0845 124 24 24. </strong> ​<span id="ms-rterangecursor-start" style="display:none;"></span><span id="ms-rterangecursor-end" style="display:none;"></span></div>
What to do if you smell gasWhat to do if you smell gas<div class="ExternalClass13A25C0A2B6248DF947CF70ACB464B26">do not use any electrical appliances including phones<br><br>do not switch light on or off<br><br> do not touch electrical switches, lights and doorbells (this may cause a spark)<br><br> put out all cigarettes and do not use any naked flames<br><br> turn off your supply at the meter immediately<br><br> open all windows and doors<br><br> check if a gas tap has been left on accidently, or if a pilot light has gone out<br><br> contact Northern Gas Networks (formerly Transco) on <strong>0800 11 19 99.</strong> You will be given a reference number to keep for future reference. <br><br> leave your home and contact us.<br><br> never try to repair a gas appliance yourself. <br> ​​<span id="ms-rterangecursor-start" style="display:none;"></span><span id="ms-rterangecursor-end" style="display:none;"></span></div>



Permission to make an alteration request form to make an alteration request form.pdf93081pdf
Repairs handbook handbook.pdf922412pdf

Did you find what you were looking for?

Did you find the information you were looking for?