Adaptations for your current home

If you are finding it difficult to move around your home and use your bathroom or kitchen, you may be eligible for a Disabled Facility Grant (DFG).

This money is for adults who require essential adaptations to make it easier to manage in their home and keep their independence. The DFG is also for the benefit of disabled children to enable them to live ordinary lives. The DFG money is managed by the adaptations service (part of housing).

This grant is for owner occupiers, private tenants and housing association tenants, and you can contact Adult or Children's Social Care to find out how they can help you.

The social care contact centre staff will take your details and arrange for an Occupational Therapist (OT) to contact you. The OT will meet with you and undertake an assessment of your needs and may make a referral to the adaptations service recommending specific adaptations that will help to support your independence at home.

Examples of adaptations

  • ramps
  • wider doorways
  • stair-lifts
  • wet floor or walk in showers
  • major alterations

Every application for a grant, where the disabled person is an adult, must include a financial means test. We will do this with you. Depending on your financial situation you may have to contribute towards the cost of the adaptation.

If you receive a passported benefit your contribution will be nil.

If the recommended work is for a child or children you will not have to undergo a financial means test and will automatically qualify for the cost of the recommended adaptations, up to the grant maximum.

Arrange an initial assessment of need

If you would like to arrange an initial assessment, please contact the council's social care teams:

For children

0113 222 4403

For adults

0113 222 4401

If you are already in contact with a social worker or care manager you can also choose to ask them to arrange for an Occupational Therapist to visit you at home.

Disabled Facilities Grant Application consultation

Consultation on options for applying for a DFG is now closed and thank you to those who took the time to complete the survey.

A review of the feedback received will now be completed and a revised version of the Public Guidance for Disability Facilities Grants available by 31st March 2019.

Please continue to follow the Public Guidance and DFG Application Pack available below.

Contact us

If you have a general enquiry about the DFG adaptations service, there are several ways you can contact us:


0113 378 5858


0113 336 7258

Type Talk

1800 2011 395 7475



Public Guidance for Disability Facilities Grant (black and white version) Guidance for Disability Facilities Grant (black and white version).pdf118016pdf
Disabled Facilty Grant application pack Facilty Grant application pack.docx218516docx

Did you find what you were looking for?

Did you find the information you were looking for?