Getting care and support at home

There is a range of support available to help you live independently and stay in your own home.

How do I get support?

If you’re already receiving social care support, speak to your care manager who will be able to advise you.

If you haven’t used social care before, contact Adult Social Care:

Contact us

You can do this yourself, or a friend, relative or health professional (like your doctor) can do it on your behalf.



0113 222 4401
(9am to 5pm Mon to Fri)

SignVideo BSL information

SignVideo live BSL interpretation​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Further information



Do you have to pay for your care?Do you have to pay for your care?<div class="ExternalClass1B0F3B78D5B840D282E841817A759C24">Most people over the age of 18 have to contribute towards the cost of their services if they can afford it. <br><br>We will carry out a financial assessment to check how much you can afford to contribute. <br><br>You will not have to pay more money than your financial assessment shows you can afford. More details about the council’s charging policy can be found in our<strong> </strong><a title="payments towards homecare PDF" href="/docs/Help%20to%20pay%20your%20non-residential%20social%20care%20and%20support%20costs.pdf"><strong>Payments Towards Non-residential Social Care Services</strong></a> document (opens as a PDF).  ​</div>
HomecareHomecare<div class="ExternalClass0AB7B6BF857F4860857BA33A2922D89E">This is when you ask a care worker to visit you in your own home, or ask us to arrange for someone to do this for you. They will help you with your personal care and some practical household tasks so that you stay as independent as possible. <br><br>You can get help with things like: <br>-Getting washed and using the toilet<br> <br>-Getting out of bed and dressing<br> <br>-Undressing and going to bed<br> <br>The NHS have more general information about home care on their <strong><a href="" title="NHS website"><strong>website.</strong></a><br><br></strong> <br>You can arrange and pay for home care yourself. If you buy help privately you can choose the type of help you receive and the amount that you want. If you would like more information about care providers in your area there is lots of information on the <a href="" title="Leeds Directory"><strong>Leeds Directory</strong></a>. <br><br> <br>You can also find out about organisations that provide home care on the <a href="" title="Care quality commission website"><strong>Care Quality Commission website</strong></a><strong>.</strong> <br><br> <br>If you are eligible following a care and support assessment and a financial assessment, you can have a personal budget and we can help you arrange the services you want. Alternatively, you can have a Direct Payment so that you can make your own arrangements.<br><br> <br>If you want more information, please call Adults and Health<span id="ms-rterangecursor-start" style="display:none;"></span><span id="ms-rterangecursor-end" style="display:none;"></span> on <strong>0113 222 4401</strong> (Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm). Or you can email us using the Contact us form on this page. ​</div>
Short-term supportShort-term support<div class="ExternalClass3ADA9B571C1F48A9ABFFBCF578DF5992"><p>Many people need short term, intensive support at home so they can regain their independence after an illness or a stay in hospital. This short term care at home is provided by our <a title="reablement service PDF" href="/docs/reablement%20booklet.pdf"><strong>Reablement Service</strong></a> (PDF 1.29MB) for up to six weeks.<br><br>We will review the help you get and assess future needs. If you need help after six weeks this can be arranged. If you are assessed as having ongoing support needs after this time, we will help you find appropriate services. The service is available to anyone over 18 who is eligible for social care and would benefit from the service. </p> <p>If you're already a social care user, contact your care manager or social worker. Otherwise call Adults and Health<span id="ms-rterangecursor-start" style="display:none;"></span><span id="ms-rterangecursor-end" style="display:none;"></span> on <strong>0113 222 4401</strong>.​</p></div>
Medical equipmentMedical equipment<div class="ExternalClass376E9DB22A5C419DBDAA99829C1310EA"><p>​In some cases, medical equipment can be provided in your own home. Examples include monitoring equipment for people with diabetes or equipment for home oxygen therapy for people with some lung conditions.</p> <p>If you would like to find out if you are able to have any medical equipment at home, speak to your care manager or social worker, health visitor, physiotherapist or occupational therapist (if you have one); or NHS staff, if you are in hospital.</p></div>
Longer term supportLonger term support<div class="ExternalClassED3E3DD10045410DB3E2FF21F36221B9">​You may be eligible for longer term support through the <a href="/residents/Pages/Continuing-health-care.aspx" title="Continuing healthcare webpage"><strong>NHS Continuing Healthcare</strong></a> package of care.​​​<span id="ms-rterangecursor-start" style="display:none;"></span><span id="ms-rterangecursor-end" style="display:none;"></span></div>
Intermediate careIntermediate care<div class="ExternalClass5E72131B6E5B4FB88FFEF0EA29B10914"><p>​This is a short-term rehabilitation service, provided by Adults and Health<span id="ms-rterangecursor-start" style="display:none;"></span><span id="ms-rterangecursor-end" style="display:none;"></span> and the NHS in Leeds, to help you get better as quickly as possible after an accident, illness or operation. </p> <p>This can involve a short stay in a care home or additional support in your own home. The service is similar to the reablement service, but is for people who still have medical needs. ​</p></div>
Support for carersSupport for carers<div class="ExternalClass93BD4F6582AC45C9A2AA6783BD6392AE">If you have someone who cares for you, for example a family member or neighbour, they are also entitled to an assessment and may qualify for support. You will be asked about this when we talk with you.​</div>
What if I don't need care one day? What if I don't need care one day? <div class="ExternalClass7E7DF9E847FA4DA7A6820DB0E121B566"><p>Please tell the people who provide your care if you are arranging to be away or do not need care due to family visiting. Please give the provider as much notice as possible, to help them plan their staffing arrangements. Otherwise, if they arrive at your home and you don’t answer, they will be worried. They will contact other family members to try and make sure you are safe. If they have reason to be concerned for your safety they might inform the police who may feel there is a need to break into your home to try and help you.</p> <p>If you do not inform a provider in sufficient time you may be charged for your care, unless the circumstances are unavoidable, for example an unexpected hospital admission.​</p></div>
What if I move house?What if I move house?<div class="ExternalClass02E87AAAFC4442BBB1F92760FD717E22">If you have a personal budget from us and plan to move home, please contact us so we can make sure that your care arrangements continue when you move. This could be for you and your carer if you have one.<br><br>If you are moving to another Local Authority area, for example to another county, with your permission, we will let your new social services offices know.​ ​</div>
What if I want to stop care?What if I want to stop care?<div class="ExternalClassBC95DFD1B9A84E5D8BFA7EF4AEB1A583"><p>If you feel you no longer wish to have care workers visit you, please contact us to discuss this. We want to make sure that you will be safe and may talk about other ways you could be supported.​</p></div>
Who provides homecare?Who provides homecare?<div class="ExternalClass58C415FCFB044BF4974AC933A7D913C3">Home care is provided by private organisations registered with the Care Quality Commission. Home care provided through the council uses a selection of carefully chosen organisations who have committed to meet a range of quality standards. <br><br>The registered care staff are experienced and trained to care for people in their own homes. Care workers will help you do the things that you used to do for yourself, and where appropriate, help you to do them for yourself again so that you can be as independent as possible.<br><br> Senior care staff will first of all talk with you about what you need and provide your care and support, adjusting it to make sure it is right for you. <br><br> When they are sure that you are getting the right amount of help, they will arrange for you to receive your care from a regular group of care workers who will get to know you and provide most of your care and support.<br><br> If you have a personal budget we will regularly talk with you to see how you are managing. The care and support you have will change as your needs change, and will end when you no longer need help. ​<span id="ms-rterangecursor-start" style="display:none;"></span><span id="ms-rterangecursor-end" style="display:none;"></span></div>
What time will the care worker visit?What time will the care worker visit?<div class="ExternalClass21F3F487DC764E5BA17DACC62336AF72"><p>The care provider will do their best to arrange the care visits at a time requested or as close to the time which is most convenient to you. If you have needs that must be met at definite times, for example medical, special diets, or things you have to do at fixed times, this can agreed with your care provider.</p> <p>The exact length of your visits may vary depending on your needs and will be agreed between you and your provider.</p> <p>Your care provider will let you know if your care worker has been delayed or is unavailable and will provide a contact number if you need to contact them should you have any concerns.​</p></div>



Tele Care Services information and charges Care Services information and charges.pdf71837pdf
Homecare customer charter Homecare customer charter.pdf167180pdf
Reablement booklet.pdf1353848pdf

Did you find what you were looking for?

Did you find the information you were looking for?