Equipment and changes to your home

Everyday equipment

Do you have difficulty carrying out day-to-day activities? Do you sometimes feel unsafe in your own home or do you care for someone who does? Equipment is available which can help you live more independently and confidently at home and in your community.

Whatever you're having difficulty with, chances are there is a piece of equipment that can help. There are many types of equipment designed to help with different day-to-day activities. Here are just a few examples:

  • ​bigger control knobs for the cooker or gas fire
  • trolleys for carrying things between rooms
  • kettle ‘tippers’ to help you pour the kettle safely
  • specially adapted beds and chairs
  • mobile or ceiling-mounted hoists
  • raised toilet seats and commodes
  • shower stools and bath seats
  • grab rails
  • wall to floor rails
  • alterations to taps
  • alterations to steps
  • amplified doorbells and phones
  • talking clocks

The Equipment for daily living booklet (PDF 1.82MB) provides information on the range of available equipment. It also tells you what to do if you want to choose and buy your own equipment.

For further information please call Adult Social Care on 0113 222 4401, 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.

If you are unable to speak to us using the telephone, please email us at

The Leeds Community Equipment Service and Tele Care are located at Assisted Living Leeds, 81 Clarence Road, Leeds, LS1 1LZ, telephone 0113 378 3300 or 0113 378 3301.

Where else can I get help and advice about equipment?

Many items of equipment can be purchased directly from a supplier. The Leeds Directory website provides details of over 1,800 organisations and services to help you live independently. You can also ring their helpline on 0113 391 8333.

You can also get independent information and advice from the William Merritt Disabled Living Centre and Mobility Service website or call them on 0113 305 8989.

Telecare - safety equipment and alarms

The Telecare service consists of equipment and services that support your safety and independence in your own home (including sheltered or extra care housing). The equipment can sense risks such as smoke, floods and gas, can remind you to take pills and even call for help if you fall. A help centre can be contacted automatically if any of these problems occur in your home.

If needed the help centre can arrange for someone to come to your home or can contact your family, doctor or emergency services. The system can also warn you of problems by sounding an alarm, flashing lights or vibrating a box which can be kept in your pocket or under your pillow.

A mobile response service is also available for people who receive Telecare services and who do not have a carer, family member or another person living locally that can come to their aid if there is an emergency. This is different to a warden for a sheltered housing scheme.

Some Telecare services include a GPS location device that can be used outdoors to assist you if there is an emergency. It can tell where you are and alert the response centre if you leave an area that is familiar to you.

How to apply for Telecare services (non-professionals)

If you know that you only need the pendant alarm service, you can apply using the Pendant Alarm self-referral application form (PDF 287KB). This form also contains information of recent changes to charges for the service.

If you are interested in any of the other Telecare services, please contact Adult Social Care on 0113 222 4401, 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.

If you are unable to speak to us using the telephone, please email us at

For customers who already receive the Telecare service and wish to make contact, please email:

How to apply for Telecare services (professionals)

Professionals wishing to apply for just the pendant alarm service can apply using the Pendant Alarm application for assessors (PDF 294KB).

Professionals wishing to apply for any other Telecare service can apply using the Telecare service application for assessors (PDF 312KB).

Adaptations to help you live at home

If you, a member of your family or someone you care for are having difficulty getting around your home due to a physical disability, sensory impairment or old age, we can help with physical changes to your home to make it more suitable for your needs and to help you live at home independently.

Adaptations to your home include:

  • ramps
  • wider doorways
  • stair lifts
  • wet floor/walk in showers
  • major alterations

If you would like to be assessed for adaptations to your home, please call Adult Social Care on 0113 222 4401, Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm.

If you are unable to use the telephone you can email us at​​​​​​​​​​​​​​



Equipment booklet booklet.pdf4136394pdf
Equipment for daily living for daily living.pdf6050124pdf
Pendant Alarm self-referral application Alarm self-referral application.pdf294785pdf
Pendant Alarm application for assessors Alarm application for assessors.pdf300460pdf
Tele Care Services information and charges Care Services information and charges.pdf71837pdf
Tele Care service application for assessors Care service application for assessors.pdf319448pdf

Did you find what you were looking for?

Did you find the information you were looking for?