NHS Continuing Healthcare

Continuing Healthcare is a term used to describe healthcare that is provided by the NHS to someone who has extensive healthcare needs. Continuing Healthcare is a package of care which is arranged and funded solely by the NHS. A package of care is arranged once your health needs have been assessed.

Where is the care provided?

This funding will pay for care in many settings – it could be in a care home, hospice, or the person’s own home. If it is provided at home, it will cover both personal care and healthcare costs.


To be eligible, you or the person you look after must be assessed as having a "primary health need", have a complex medical condition and substantial and on-going care needs. Further information is available in the NHS Continuing Healthcare booklet (PDF 2.8MB).


We can help you get a Continuing Healthcare assessment. The initial assessment consists of a short form which can be completed by a nurse, doctor, other healthcare professional or social worker. You, or the person you look after, will be told what is happening, and be asked for consent.

If the initial assessment shows that you, or the person you look after, may be eligible for funding, you will get a full assessment from a specialist team from NHS Leeds. This team will include any health and social care professionals already involved in the care of the person being assessed. 

To find out more and to get an assessment, talk to your social worker or GP, or call Adult Social Care on 0113 222 4401 (Weekdays, 9am to 5pm, except Wednesdays when we're open from 10am). If you are unable to use the telephone you can email us.

You can also visit the Leeds Community Healthcare NHS Trust website for information on the provision of healthcare services in the Leeds area.




NHS Continuing Healthcarehttps://www.leeds.gov.uk/docs/NHS Leeds Continuing Care information booklet for patients[1].pdf2785057pdf

Did you find what you were looking for?

Did you find the information you were looking for?