Paying for residential care

Residential care is living in a residential setting or ‘care home’ as opposed to living in your own home.

If you’re unable to live independently, even with extra support, you may need to consider residential care.

There are various types of care homes; some provide personal care but no nursing care and some cater specifically for people of particular cultures or religions. Care homes can be run by Leeds City Council, some by private individuals and organisations, and others by voluntary groups.

How much is residential care?

The cost of residential care depends on:

1. The type of care home you choose to live in

  • Independent care homes: The private sector can choose to charge various amounts for a care home placement. Within Leeds there are some care homes that have a Contract Framework, where a fee has been negotiated between the care home and the local authority.
  • Council owned care homes: Council owned care homes in Leeds have a maximum charge, which is based on the actual cost of living in the home. It is the most that anyone can be charged for a place. From 11 April 2017 the charge is £789.60 per week for all new placements. This figure is subject to change on an annual basis. The rate you would pay is based on an assessment of your income and capital assets, less your personal allowance of at least £24.90 per week.

2. The results of your financial assessment

Depending on your financial situation, you may be able to get help to pay for your care. The amount you will be expected to contribute towards your care is related to how much you are financially assessed as being able to pay.

If you have less than £23,250 in savings and investments you are likely to be entitled to financial help. The amount of financial help you get depends on your income including your retirement pension and works pension if you have one and exactly how much capital you have which includes money you may have in savings, shares, bonds etc. and the value of your assets such as property. The amount you pay will reduce as your capital reduces.

If you have more than £23,250 in savings you will generally be expected to pay all costs yourself. However, it is still a good idea to talk to us if you only have slightly more than this amount.

If you decide to live in a residential home provided by Leeds City Council, you will receive a bill every three months. If you are in an independent residential or nursing home, you will pay your weekly assessed contribution to the home directly. They will inform you how to do this and how often.

Financial assistance for Independent residential or nursing homes will generally only be given up to the value of the negotiated Contract Framework price. However, you have a choice of home, and there is an option for a third party top up which means someone (family member or friend) can chose to pay the additional cost. 

If you have been assessed as being a self-funder – this means we are unable to give you financial assistance with paying for the care. However there are still options of assistance available

The Care Act 2014 states that people should not have to sell their homes in their lifetime to pay for their care, as they have sometimes had to do in the past.

More details on paying for residential care are available in our help to pay your care home fees booklet (PDF 0.9MB)

Third Party Top-Up Payments

Your family or a friend may wish to pay for more expensive accommodation for you, for example a larger room, or a garden view. Where a family member or friend wishes to pay towards your care, this is called a Third Party Top-Up Payment. Further information can be found on the Third Party Top-Up Payment Page.

Deferred Payment Scheme

A deferred payment agreement (PDF) is an arrangement with the council that will enable some people to use the value of their homes to pay for their care costs. If you are eligible, you will enter a legal agreement where the Council will, on your behalf, pay the care home fees and you can delay repayment until you choose to sell your home, or until after your death. 

We will charge fees for setting up this arrangement and also a small amount of interest on the amount owed. The fees will be set to cover the council’s costs and not to make a profit. The application form is available as a PDF.

The fees and interest are as follows for 2019/20

  • Admin Set Up Charge: £150.00
  • Admin Annual Charge: £76.00
  • Admin Termination Charge: £121.00
  • Legal Charges: Approx £350.00 (based on actual cost)
  • Land Registry Charge: Actual cost (between £40 and £910 depending upon house value)
  • Land Search: Actual Cost (between £20 and £125 depending upon house value)
  • Independent Property Valuation: Actual Cost – if required
  • Interest Chargeable - effective from 1 January 2019 (reviewed 1 Jan and 1 July every year as set by the Government): 1.65%



Is there any financial help I can claim that is not means tested?Is there any financial help I can claim that is not means tested?<div class="ExternalClass0B4DDB69B18B423A8E5192FF7CBF2BA5">If you are self-funding, Attendance Allowance is a non-means tested, non-taxable allowance paid at the lower rate of £55.10 per week for those needing care by day or night and at a higher rate of £82.30 per week for those needing care by day and night.<br><br>Also, whether your stay is temporary or permanent, if you receive nursing care in a care home you may be entitled to an NHS Nursing Care Contribution towards registered nurse time costs. Currently this is £112 per week and applies to England only. Wales, Northern Ireland and Scotland pay different amounts. Speak to your GP or local health centre to find out more. ​<span id="ms-rterangecursor-start" style="display:none;"></span><span id="ms-rterangecursor-end" style="display:none;"></span></div>
What will I have to pay if my needs change? What will I have to pay if my needs change? <div class="ExternalClassDFA9AD4C2A044F2F9196E46230CFFC07">If you have recently been given a medical assessment which states you need to move from residential to nursing care, you will be moved to a suitable home where qualified nursing staff can look after you. Your contributions for nursing care will remain unchanged.<br><br>There would be no increase in your contribution either if you were moving from an older person’s residential home to a home that caters for people who need different care because they are elderly mentally infirm (EMI). ​<span id="ms-rterangecursor-start" style="display:none;"></span><span id="ms-rterangecursor-end" style="display:none;"></span></div>



Deferred Payment Scheme Leaflet Payment Scheme Leaflet.pdf1013699pdf
Help to pay your Care Home Fees Booklet to pay your Care Home Fees Booklet.pdf931336pdf

Did you find what you were looking for?

Did you find the information you were looking for?