How to get social care and support for adults

​What is adult social care and support?

Care and support for adults is the term used to describe the help some people aged over 18 need to live as well as possible with their illness, disability or other problems. It can include help with things like washing, dressing, eating, getting out and about and keeping in touch with family and friends.

Adults who may need extra care and support include:

  • older people
  • people with learning disabilities
  • people with physical disabilities
  • people with mental health problems
  • people with drug and/or alcohol issues
  • carers

Whether you prefer support in your own home or in a residential care home, it's important that you are allowed to control the care and support you receive.​

How do I get support?

Please call us on 0113 222 4401 (Weekdays, 9am to 5pm, except Wednesdays when we're open from 10am) and tell us about the difficulties you're experiencing. This can be done by you, a family member, a friend, your doctor or anybody else who thinks you might need some extra support. If you have difficulty using the telephone please email us at

We will then help and advise you, which could include arranging for you to have a needs assessment or directing you to other services that can help you. 

If you need to make urgent contact with us outside of office hours please read our Weekend and evening emergencies page.

Are you a Deaf British Sign Language (BSL) user?

You can use SignVideo Access Points to communicate with us instantly through an online professional BSL video interpreter. More information is available on the SignVideo BSL Live page.​​​​​​



Support for prisonersSupport for prisoners<div class="ExternalClass569B82A4C0C9461F8BE468B69CFF5063"><p>​For prisoners and others who live in approved premises, such as bail hostels, social care services can support rehabilitation. If a person meets particular criteria, the prison's or approved premises' local council must provide their care and support. <br><br>Just like anyone else, prisoners and people in approved premises who can afford to must pay part or the full cost of their care. If a prisoner receiving care and support moves to another prison, the Care Act states that their care and support continues.<br><br>The council may also assess the new or continuing help a person will need when they are released into the community.​<br></p></div>



A guide to Adult Social Care
Leeds City Council Annual Local Account 2016/17 Local Account Hi Res.compressed.pdf583031pdf
Getting the right care and support for you
Leeds Adult Social Care Outcomes Framework (provisional results) Adult Social Care Outcomes Framework (provisional results).pdf415432pdf
Living Better Lives in Leeds Local Account Better Lives in Leeds Local Account.pdf210973pdf
Your journey through Adult Social Care in Leeds journey through Adult Social Care in Leeds.pdf956219pdf

Did you find what you were looking for?

Did you find the information you were looking for?