Assessing your social care needs

​Your first step is to contact us to find out whether or not you are entitled to care and support.

Please call us on 0113 222 4401 (Weekdays, 9am to 5pm, except Wednesdays when we're open from 10am).

If you have difficulty using the telephone please email us at You can watch a video about assessing your care needs in British Sign Language (BSL)​.

What happens when you contact us

When you contact us, we will need to carry out an initial assessment. Whether you are calling about yourself or on behalf of someone else we will need to ask you a number of questions. This may take up to 30 minutes depending on the amount of information that needs to be gathered.

It is useful to have the following information available:

  • name, date of birth and address of the person seeking care and support
  • how the person in need of support manages with daily tasks. This will include carrying out personal care, preparing food and drink, getting around, managing home and money and relationships with family and friends

If, following the initial assessment the person seeking support is deemed eligible, a referral will be made for a full care needs assessment which will be carried out by a social worker.

If I am not eligible for support from the council, what else can I do?

If your care needs assessment identifies that you are not eligible to receive care and support from the council you will be given advice on how to access support locally and how to prevent or reduce your care needs.

The Leeds Directory can help you find out how to get help with domestic jobs like gardening, cleaning and washing and find out what activities and events there are in your local area. These may include luncheon clubs, places where you can meet people, coffee mornings, day centres and so much more!

Everyone's needs are different; they may be physical, mental or emotional and when it comes to care and support in our city, a 'one size fits all' approach doesn't work. We know it doesn't and that's why there are still plenty of options available for people who may need support away from traditional social care services.

The Leeds Directory can help you find out what's available.

If I am eligible for support, what happens next?

If you are entitled to receive care and support, we will work with you to plan your care and support and decide how to spend the money to meet your needs. A family member or advocate can support you if you wish. Your plan should include the things most important to you and your family. The support you will receive depends on what you need as an individual.

We will let you know how much money you will need to buy services to support you. We will also explain that you will be financially assessed and you may have to make a contribution towards your care. Please refer to Paying for social care and support.

I'm a carer. Can I have an assessment?

If you are a carer you are also entitled to information, advice and an assessment of your needs if you care for someone else.​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Contact us



0113 222 4401 

(Weekdays, 9am to 5pm, except Wednesdays when we're open from 10am)

SignVideo BSL information

SignVideo live BSL interpretation​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​



A guide to Adult Social Care
Getting the right care and support for you
Your journey through Adult Social Care in Leeds journey through Adult Social Care in Leeds.pdf956219pdf

Use this form to give us your comments. Do not use it to give us personal information - please contact us if you need to get in touch.