Care homes and care homes with nursing

If you are unable to live independently, even with extra support, you may need to consider residential care.

Take your time. Try not to make this decision in a hurry or at a time of crisis - for example, just after discharge from hospital, after an illness, or just after the death of a partner, close relative or carer. Take the time to consider other options and, if possible, talk things through with family members (and your care manager, if you have one).

Different types of care homes

There are various types of care home. Some just provide personal care but no nursing care. Some cater specifically for people of particular cultures or religions. Care homes are run by voluntary groups, private individuals and organisations, trusts or by Leeds City Council.

A comprehensive list of all care homes and care homes with nursing in the Leeds area is available in the Leeds Care Homes and Housing Options Directory (PDF 5.6MB)​. The directory has a care homes checklist to help you consider all of the important factors when choosing a care home.

Care homes providing personal care only

These homes are for people who can no longer manage to live independently. Personal care is provided, but health care will still be provided by your GP and district nurse - in the same way as if you were living in your own home.

Care homes providing nursing care as well as personal care

These types of care homes provide 24-hour nursing care by qualified nurses and healthcare assistants. There will always be nursing staff on duty. Some of these homes are run by voluntary organisations, trusts or charities, but most are run by individuals or companies.

Care homes providing specialist care

A number of care homes cater for people who need specialist care - for example, those with dementia. Specialist homes are run by voluntary groups, charities, trusts, private individuals, companies or by Leeds City Council.

Care homes run by Leeds City Council

The council runs some care homes across the city and adult social care is responsible for managing these. All our care homes are registered to provide personal care and have to meet the same standards as private and voluntary homes.​

All of our services are registered as required with the Care Quality Commission (CQC) and reports of the latest CQC inspections are available on our Care home CQC ratings page.

Respite care (short breaks)

Respite care means giving a break to someone who is usually looked after in their own home by their carer. It may be a short stay (usually one or two weeks) in a care home or somewhere else using, for example, the Shared Lives service. Most homes offer short stays (respite) as well as permanent care.

How to contact us

If you’re considering a care home for yourself or someone you care for, it is important you speak to us first. Call adult social care on 0113 222 4401 (Weekdays, 9am to 5pm, except Wednesdays when we're open from 10am) to arrange an assessment of your needs – there may be other options you may not have considered.

Paying for your own care (self-funding)

If you can fund your own place and you are not applying for help with care costs, you do not need to involve us. You can look for a place in any home that is able to provide the right level of care for you and meets your care needs. However, we can still offer advice if you'd like us to. Please contact us on 0113 222 4401 (Weekdays, 9am to 5pm, except Wednesdays when we're open from 10am).

When choosing a home, you will need to consider carefully whether you have enough money for the fees, not just for now but well into the future. Further information about paying for residential care is available on our Charges for residential care page.

The Society of Later Life Advisers and Age UK can offer additional advice and support.




Leeds Care Homes and Housing Options Directory 2016-17 Care Homes and Housing Options Directory 2016-17.pdf5455061pdf

Did you find what you were looking for?

Did you find the information you were looking for?