Trees and vegetation

Dangerous Trees

A tree that overhangs a highway, road or footpath and causes a danger to either vehicles or pedestrians is considered dangerous. We can serve a notice requiring the owner of the tree to either maintain it or cut it down and remove it.

Leeds City Council has a legal duty to maintain Council owned trees in such a way that their condition or location does not pose unreasonable risks to people or property. We take this duty of care extremely seriously and prioritise identified risks to ensure that the most serious risks are attended to first.

The Council does not prioritise tree work where no risks are identified.

Our new publication, Tree Guidelines for the management of Leeds City Council’s trees, addresses the most frequently asked questions about the type of tree work that the Council will undertake and the tree work that it will not undertake. The guidelines cover the following:

  • Explanation of our tree risk management system
  • Trees causing shade, overhanging or encroaching on property
  • Trees causing obstruction or interference
  • Naturally occurring tree issues that may be perceived to be a ‘nuisance’
  • Trees relating to building and construction
  • Trees on Housing Leeds land
  • Routine tree maintenance

Please read these guidelines carefully as they will provide the answer to most tree related enquiries. Should you wish to continue with your referral, please contact us via:

  • Telephone: 0113 378 6002
  • Email:
  • Office opening hours: 8:00a.m to 4:30p.m
  • Emergency Out of Hours: 0113 376 0499 (Available every evening after 4:30p.m)

Overgrown vegetation

Vegetation, such as bushes and hedges, growing from private land onto the public footpath or highway including public ginnels can be reported to us. We usually give the owner an opportunity to prune back the vegetation. If they do not respond we may serve a notice on the owner of the land to cut back the vegetation or remove it.

We do not deal with vegetation that is overgrowing onto private land. This is a civil matter and your solicitor can provide further advice or assistance.

If your problem involves high hedge issues please contact our planning department.​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​



Invasive weeds on public land or the highway Invasive weeds on public land or the highway <div class="ExternalClass8CE87E48CC7344C98249CA3A9872F5D9">​Please email <a href="">​<span id="ms-rterangecursor-start" style="display:none;"></span><span id="ms-rterangecursor-end" style="display:none;"></span></a> to pass information to Parks and Countryside for further investigation. They will need to know your name, a contact telephone number and the exact location of the problem in order to investigate.</div>
Tenants of Housing Leeds, Housing Office contact informationTenants of Housing Leeds <div class="ExternalClassD1423759ACA2442AB775D0B1F5B8E47D">​<span id="ms-rterangepaste-start"></span>Contact your housing office who will investigate and take the appropriate action</div>
Private property, Royal Horticultural Society: advice on Invasive non-native speciesPrivate property <div class="ExternalClass8836EF0C2BCC4123A26024006314BF6D">​The owner is responsible for preventing the weed from spreading. Please contact a company who specialises in treatment of these weeds. Leeds City Council only treats invasive weeds which are on council property. For further advice about this please use the Royal Horticulture Society website links below</div>



Tree guidelines booklet guidelines booklet.pdf6180276pdf

Did you find what you were looking for?

Did you find the information you were looking for?