Find out how to report needle and graffiti removal.
This is a city wide service and our priority is the rapid removal of needles and drug related waste items from areas that are open to the public. Unless it poses an immediate danger to you or other residents, do not pick up these items. You can report this to us online by using the
discarded needles or drug waste formExternal link.
Removal for schools and nurseries
If you find any needles, syringes or drug related items on the grounds of schools, nurseries or other educational premises during working hours, report this immediately to the premises. They have trained staff to deal with such items.
Removal for houses, flats and other building
We do not provide a service to remove needles from within properties or their grounds, this includes homes rented by the council.
If you live in privately rented accommodation you need to contact your landlord, if you are an owner occupier you need to make arrangements for removal by a private contractor.
We remove graffiti from council buildings or property only. We aim to remove offensive graffiti in 24 hours and more general graffiti within 28 days.
You can report graffiti online using the
graffiti formExternal link.
Graffiti on private properties
Graffiti removal from private property is the responsibility of the owner of that property.
If the owner of a private domestic property is unable to remove the graffiti themselves, we will remove or cover it up on their behalf, providing that it can be easily and safely accessed from ground level without the need for a ladder or specialist equipment.
Before removing graffiti from a private property we need permission from the property owner and must have received a completed indemnity form before removal can start.
We aim to remove or to obscure offensive graffiti within 24 hours of it being reported and to remove general graffiti within 28 days of receipt of a correctly completed indemnity form.
Graffiti on business premises
We can remove graffiti from businesses, but a charge is made for this service unless the graffiti is offensive. Graffiti will be removed from certain religious buildings or premises free of charge.
Graffiti on other public property
Other public property includes and is covered by:
- BT phone booths - contact British Telecommunications on 0800 661 610
- BT cabinets, telegraph poles and access covers - contact BT Open Reach on 0800 023 2023
- TV and telecoms cabinets - contact Virgin Media on 0870 888 3116
- Electricity substations - contact Northern Power Grid on 0800 375 675
- Lamp posts, illuminated street signs, illuminated bollards - contact Southern Electric Contracting on 0800 032 5349
- Railway lines/bridges/stations - contact Network Rail on 0845 711 4141
- Canal tow paths/locks/bridges - contact Canal and River Trust on 03030 404040
- Post boxes - contact Royal Mail on 03457 740740
- Bus stops, signs, shelters and stations - contact West Yorkshire Metro on 0113 245 7676